unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Trying to install Guix with Qemu
@ 2014-09-20  3:43 Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-20  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I've just started playing with Guix and would like to do so using Qemu
rather than bare metal.  As the GNU system is only available for Guix
0.7 as a USB drive image, this has posed a bit of a vexing problem to
me.  I am a Qemu novice (I usually use Virtual Box) but I did get it to
boot the USB image file and also was able to mount a created qcow2 disk
image for it.  That is where I seem to have run aground.

It seems that Qemu when passed the -usb option makes that image /dev/sda
and the image file I intend to install to must be given with the -hdb
option.  When I edited /mnt/etc/config.scm I assumed the disk image
would be /dev/sda but that seems to have resulted in at least Grub
(maybe more packages) being installed into the USB image.  Clearly, this
isn't what I want.  Do I specify /dev/sdb in config.scm and then just
boot it as -hdb in the future?

I apologize if this is more of a Qemu question as I didn't see anything
in the Qemu documentation that steered me toward reversing its drive
assignments.  Hopefully, I'm not the only person interested in exploring
the GNU system/Guix in a virtual machine, am I?

- Nate