unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* %base-packages and default grub theme depend on rust
@ 2024-01-15  3:24 Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2024-01-15  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

So, I stumbled a bit with a fairly recently installed aarch64/arm64
system. The install went fine late December, but then I tried "guix
system reconfigure" a couple days ago, and even though it is a very
simple configuration (based on bare-bones.tmpl with grub-efi)... it
pretty much needed to rebuild about 12 rust versions, as no substitutes
were available on aarch64-linux. *sigh*

I thought I tracked this down to guix-icons depending on librsvg, which
depends on rust... and guix-icons is in %base-packages.

So I dropped use of %base-packages-artwork, which pulls in guix-icons
and used all the various other %base-packages-* stuff explicitly... but
it still wanted to pull in guix-icons/librsvg/rust-* etc ... it just did
so later in the build process... foiled again!

This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...

But this machine just has a serial console, and has no need of a
background image in the grub configuration...

So eventually I figured out how to get a grub theme without a background
image and drop guix-icons from the configuration by avoiding use of
%base-packages-artwork:

   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
+                (theme (grub-theme (image #f)))
                 (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                 (targets '("/boot/efi"))))

-  (packages (cons screen %base-packages))
+  (packages (append (list screen nss-certs)
+          %base-packages-interactive
+          %base-packages-linux
+          %base-packages-networking
+          %base-packages-utils))

Maybe these is a more elegant way of doing this.

So, the example bare-bones system configuration does seems to have heavy
layers of rust obscuring the bones.

Do we want a really-quite-bare-bones configuration example?
Should guix-icons not actually be in %base-packages?
Can the grub theme be implemented differently without requiring rust?

This seems like possibly a discussion so far, but I would also be happy
to turn this into a bug report if desired!

Thanks everyone!

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: %base-packages and default grub theme depend on rust
@ 2024-01-15 17:39 ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2024-01-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Hi Vagrant,

On 1/14/24 22:24, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> So, I stumbled a bit with a fairly recently installed aarch64/arm64
> system. The install went fine late December, but then I tried "guix
> system reconfigure" a couple days ago, and even though it is a very
> simple configuration (based on bare-bones.tmpl with grub-efi)... it
> pretty much needed to rebuild about 12 rust versions, as no substitutes
> were available on aarch64-linux. *sigh*
>
> I thought I tracked this down to guix-icons depending on librsvg, which
> depends on rust... and guix-icons is in %base-packages.
>
> So I dropped use of %base-packages-artwork, which pulls in guix-icons
> and used all the various other %base-packages-* stuff explicitly... but
> it still wanted to pull in guix-icons/librsvg/rust-* etc ... it just did
> so later in the build process... foiled again!
>
> This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
> ... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...
>
> But this machine just has a serial console, and has no need of a
> background image in the grub configuration...
>
> So eventually I figured out how to get a grub theme without a background
> image and drop guix-icons from the configuration by avoiding use of
> %base-packages-artwork:
>
>     (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
> +                (theme (grub-theme (image #f)))
>                   (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
>                   (targets '("/boot/efi"))))
>
> -  (packages (cons screen %base-packages))
> +  (packages (append (list screen nss-certs)
> +          %base-packages-interactive
> +          %base-packages-linux
> +          %base-packages-networking
> +          %base-packages-utils))
>
> Maybe these is a more elegant way of doing this.
>

> So, the example bare-bones system configuration does seems to have heavy
> layers of rust obscuring the bones.
>
> Do we want a really-quite-bare-bones configuration example?
> Should guix-icons not actually be in %base-packages?
> Can the grub theme be implemented differently without requiring rust?

At least a PNG copy of the SVG could be created ahead of time without
having to use librsvg to convert it.

@ 2024-01-29 16:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-01-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

> This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
> ... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...

How about using a guile-rsvg variant that depends on ‘librsvg-2.40’, the
last version written in C?

That’s easy to do and would address the immediate problem.

Ludo’.

* Re: %base-packages and default grub theme depend on rust
@ 2024-02-08 12:33   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-02-08 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>
> > This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
> > ... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...
>
> How about using a guile-rsvg variant that depends on ‘librsvg-2.40’, the
> last version written in C?
>
> That’s easy to do and would address the immediate problem.

I bet we could switch it to use guile-cairo. Also, is guile-png too low
level?

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

@ 2024-02-08 14:54     ` Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen @ 2024-02-08 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Efraim Flashner writes:

Hi,

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>>
>> > This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
>> > ... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...
>>
>> How about using a guile-rsvg variant that depends on ‘librsvg-2.40’, the
>> last version written in C?
>>
>> That’s easy to do and would address the immediate problem.
>
> I bet we could switch it to use guile-cairo. Also, is guile-png too low
> level?

That would be nice.

FWIW, I shortly attempted to get rid of rust for building a hurd-vm on
my `wip-sans-rust' branch, branched off core-updates

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/commits/wip-sans-rust/?ref_type=heads

    a7b2251c6e gnu: grub-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
    6406eefe2a gnu: libsoup-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
    753c872fb7 squash! gnu: qemu-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
    417cbc8aa7 gnu: qemu-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
    f3b5d38664 gnu: guix-icons: Remove rust dependency.
    adf9ceeb2f gnu: Add guile-rsvg-sans-rust.

but didn't get anywhere really in the end.

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: %base-packages and default grub theme depend on rust
@ 2024-02-29  7:28     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-02-29  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 02:33:35PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
> >
> > > This is because the default grub theme generates a .png from an .svg
> > > ... using guile-rsvg, which uses librsvg, which uses rust ...
> >
> > How about using a guile-rsvg variant that depends on ‘librsvg-2.40’, the
> > last version written in C?
> >
> > That’s easy to do and would address the immediate problem.
>
> I bet we could switch it to use guile-cairo. Also, is guile-png too low
> level?

My experiments with this didn't show it as possible.

I like vagrant's idea about using the older librsvg for the guile-rsvg
used here, or just pre-generating the png itself and adding it to the
guix-artwork repo and using it from there.

--

@ 2024-02-29  8:11       ` Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen @ 2024-02-29  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Efraim Flashner writes:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 02:33:35PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

>> > How about using a guile-rsvg variant that depends on ‘librsvg-2.40’, the
>> > last version written in C?
>> >
>> > That’s easy to do and would address the immediate problem.
>>
>> I bet we could switch it to use guile-cairo. Also, is guile-png too low
>> level?
>
> My experiments with this didn't show it as possible.
>
> I like vagrant's idea about using the older librsvg for the guile-rsvg
> used here, or just pre-generating the png itself and adding it to the
> guix-artwork repo and using it from there.

FWIW, I tried to take a stab at this and made some progress
https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/commits/wip-sans-rust/

gnu: grub-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
gnu: libsoup-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
squash! gnu: qemu-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
gnu: qemu-minimal: Remove rust dependency.
gnu: guix-icons: Remove rust dependency.
gnu: Add guile-rsvg-sans-rust.

but qemu-minimal is kinda obnoxious to build without documentation
(which depends on rust!).