unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* UI whishlist: guix pull channel name?
@ 2020-04-25  7:53 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-04-25  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

Maybe it is already possible and I miss the feature.

Currently, I have a couple of channels described in
'~/.config/guix/channels.scm'. So, "guix pull" fetch all of them in
row. Nice!

Time to time, I would like to only pull one specific channel, e.g.,
only '%default-channels'.

I added the file '~/.config/guix/default-channels.scm' containing only
'%default-channels' and then I run "guix pull -C
~/.config/guix/default-channels.scm'". It is cumbersome.

It seems even trickier to only pull one specific channel because of
the configuration files.

An UI such that "guix pull --channel-names=<name>" where <name> is the
name give in the channel file. Without a short option because this
kind of situation is infrequent.

And with the convention "guix pull --channel-names=none" should pull
only '%default-channels'.

Moreover, time to to time, the channel is broken and I have no time to
fix it but I need to pull for other reasons.

What do you think?

All the best,
simon

* Re: UI whishlist: guix pull channel name?
@ 2020-04-25 13:28 ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-04-25 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

 ---- On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 07:53:04 +0000 zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > Dear,
 >
 > Maybe it is already possible and I miss the feature.
 >
 > Currently, I have a couple of channels described in
 > '~/.config/guix/channels.scm'. So, "guix pull" fetch all of them in
 > row. Nice!
 >
 > Time to time, I would like to only pull one specific channel, e.g.,
 > only '%default-channels'.
 >
 > I added the file '~/.config/guix/default-channels.scm' containing only
 > '%default-channels' and then I run "guix pull -C
 > ~/.config/guix/default-channels.scm'". It is cumbersome.
 >
 > It seems even trickier to only pull one specific channel because of
 > the configuration files.
 >

 > An UI such that "guix pull --channel-names=<name>" where <name> is the
 > name give in the channel file. Without a short option because this
 > kind of situation is infrequent.
 >
 > And with the convention "guix pull --channel-names=none" should pull
 > only '%default-channels'.
 >
 > Moreover, time to to time, the channel is broken and I have no time to
 > fix it but I need to pull for other reasons.
 >

 > What do you think?

+1

This has been requested before (not formally, I think).