* Wikidata, Guix and the Free Software DIrectory [was: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el]
       [not found] <mailman.61.1610038809.29794.emacs-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2021-01-08 12:46 ` Christophe Poncy
From: Christophe Poncy @ 2021-01-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, emacs-tangents, directory-discuss, guix-devel, wikidata

On 1/7/21 2:49 PM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> I see two ways we could possibly manage to use repology.org in the
> Free World.
>
> * Find a way to distinguish free from nonfree packages.  I see two
> ideas One is to snarf the lists of free packages from Debian and
> Parabola.  Another is to see if free packages list a license that
> shows they are free.  You might have other ideas.

Repology data can easily be found on Wikidata [1] but I wonder if
Repology can locate and merge their entries on Wikidata or if it was
done manually.

> Does anyone have another idea?

Repology is a software directory but we already have such tool with the
Free Software Directory! [1][2]

Wikidata can natively distinguish free from nonfree packages. So one way
is to add all Guix variable names into Wikidata [3] and find a way to
link the Wikidata properties with the FSD entries…

Then Emacs can use the Mediawiki API to query the fetched data.

Christophe

[1] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P6931
[2] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P2537
[3] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P6765

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-01-08 13:40 UTC | newest]