unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix system init: failed to get path of `/boot/efi'
@ 2017-09-18  8:04 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-09-18  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

For installing a GuixSD in e fresh system I followed the installation
instructions in the manual. As described in the manual, I did set

  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (target "/boot/efi")))

But running

root@gnu ~# ls -d /mnt/boot/efi
/mnt/boot/efi/
root@gnu ~# guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt

failed with:

populating '/mnt'...
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
/gnu/store/…-grub-efi-2.02/sbin/grub-install: error: failed to get
canonical path of `/boot/efi'.

Obviously grub-install is not "chroot"-ing to /mnt.

Is this expected behavior? And what is the correct solution?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: guix system init: failed to get path of `/boot/efi'
@ 2017-09-18  9:04 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2017-09-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon 18 Sep 2017 10:04, Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> For installing a GuixSD in e fresh system I followed the installation
> instructions in the manual. As described in the manual, I did set
>
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
>                 (target "/boot/efi")))
>
> But running
>
> root@gnu ~# ls -d /mnt/boot/efi
> /mnt/boot/efi/
> root@gnu ~# guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
>
> failed with:
>
> populating '/mnt'...
> Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
> /gnu/store/…-grub-efi-2.02/sbin/grub-install: error: failed to get
> canonical path of `/boot/efi'.
>
> Obviously grub-install is not "chroot"-ing to /mnt.
>
> Is this expected behavior? And what is the correct solution?

You need to mount the EFI partition to /boot/efi in the installation
system.  As the manual says in "Preparing for Installation" (perhaps not
clearly enough):

   If you instead wish to use EFI-based GRUB, a FAT32 “EFI System
   Partition” (ESP) is required.  This partition should be mounted at
   ‘/boot/efi’ and must have the ‘esp’ flag set.

Andy

* Re: guix system init: failed to get path of `/boot/efi'
@ 2017-09-18  9:38   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-09-18  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guix-devel

Am 18.09.2017 um 11:04 schrieb Andy Wingo:
> You need to mount the EFI partition to /boot/efi in the installation
> system.  As the manual says in "Preparing for Installation" (perhaps not
> clearly enough):

IC. Thanks.

Yes, this is not clear enough (like the whole section is). But as I
wrote, it may not be worth spending time on this is the graphcal
installer is coming soon.