unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* When to add rust packages?
@ 2019-12-13 14:57 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-12-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I packaged a number of Rust programs that I use everyday (ripgrep,
alacritty) or I found useful when learning Rust (racer).  With the
instability of the rust build system and package definition they are a lot
to maintain. I would love to send patches for them but I don't want to
burden you all with the maintenance of the packages. When do you think
would be the best time to send patches?

Thanks!

John

* Re: When to add rust packages?
@ 2019-12-13 16:35 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2019-12-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I would send them as soon as you think they are usable,
the "burden" is shared between people who are interested
and work on maintaining them - you, or anyone else.

No need to feel like it would be a burden to anyone.

* Re: When to add rust packages?
@ 2019-12-13 19:34   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-12-13 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: Guix-devel

Thanks,

I’ll be sending some patches as soon as I can. As you all know, rust packages have a lot of dependencies so it could take some time.

- John

* Re: When to add rust packages?
@ 2019-12-13 20:39 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-12-13 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 02:57:00PM +0000, John Soo wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> I packaged a number of Rust programs that I use everyday (ripgrep,
> alacritty) or I found useful when learning Rust (racer).  With the
> instability of the rust build system and package definition they are a lot
> to maintain. I would love to send patches for them but I don't want to
> burden you all with the maintenance of the packages. When do you think
> would be the best time to send patches?

Also once you send them we have more packages to test out changes to the
rust system against.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: When to add rust packages?
@ 2019-12-16 20:50   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-12-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, 38640, Nicolò Balzarotti

Hi all,

I submitted my patches this morning in #38640.  Thanks for the continued work on the rust build system.  I like rust tools quite a lot.

- John