unofficial mirror of bug-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
@ 2022-07-15  5:29 Peter
  2022-07-15 10:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Peter @ 2022-07-15  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 56572


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 242 bytes --]

Hi,

I did manual partitioning because I didn't want to wipe the other
partitions out.

Set / and /home partitions, formatted as EXT4.

Crashes as soon as it writes the changes, displays the backtrace and
restarts the installer.

Best,
Peter

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 355 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_20220715_010622.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 4203818 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
  2022-07-15  5:29 bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached Peter
@ 2022-07-15 10:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2022-07-15 14:15   ` sunspark
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-07-15 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: 56572

Hi Peter,

Peter <sunspark@gmail.com> skribis:

> I did manual partitioning because I didn't want to wipe the other
> partitions out.
>
> Set / and /home partitions, formatted as EXT4.
>
> Crashes as soon as it writes the changes, displays the backtrace and
> restarts the installer.

Ouch.  Could you confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer?

It would seem that the bug comes from ‘read-partition-uuid’ returning #f
in this function:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(define (user-partition->file-system user-partition)
  "Convert the given USER-PARTITION record in a FILE-SYSTEM record from
(gnu system file-systems) module and return it."
  (let* ((mount-point (user-partition-mount-point user-partition))
         (fs-type (user-partition-fs-type user-partition))
         (crypt-label (user-partition-crypt-label user-partition))
         (mount-type (user-fs-type->mount-type fs-type))
         (file-name (user-partition-file-name user-partition))
         (upper-file-name (user-partition-upper-file-name user-partition))
         ;; Only compute uuid if partition is not encrypted.
         (uuid (or crypt-label
                   (uuid->string (read-partition-uuid file-name) fs-type))))
    `(file-system
       (mount-point ,mount-point)
       (device ,@(if crypt-label
                     `(,upper-file-name)
                     `((uuid ,uuid (quote ,fs-type)))))
       (type ,mount-type)
       ,@(if crypt-label
             '((dependencies mapped-devices))
             '()))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This can happen if a partition you chose to create actually contains
random data or a file system not supported by (gnu build file-systems);
this, in turn, can happen if you chose not to format partitions during
the installation process.

Could it be what happened in your case?

Ludo’.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
  2022-07-15 10:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2022-07-15 14:15   ` sunspark
  2022-07-15 19:55     ` Peter
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: sunspark @ 2022-07-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 56572

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3264 bytes --]

Hi, I confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer. I have since downloaded the snapshot installer but I haven't tested it yet. However I would need to be careful testing because this time around I have created raw unformatted partitions in Windows disk manager because it annoys me how different Linux disk utilities round numbers differently. The guix installer views 64 GB as 68.7 GB and entering 68.7 there to create a matching 64 creates 63.98 GB instead. I suppose I would need to run it twice again with the 1.3 first. Once to see if just formatting a windows created raw partition fixes it and once with a filesystem that isn't ext4 then the snapshot. My partition table is standard. 100 meg efi, 128 meg Microsoft reserved partiton, two NTFS partitions, the two ext4s I was attempting to create in unallocated space and a linux swap partition already created. Incidentally, the reboot command in F1 doesn't work either. Just black screens. Need to hold the power button down.Best,PeterSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> Date: 2022-07-15  06:58  (GMT-05:00) To: Peter <sunspark@gmail.com> Cc: 56572@debbugs.gnu.org Subject: Re: bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached Hi Peter,Peter <sunspark@gmail.com> skribis:> I did manual partitioning because I didn't want to wipe the other> partitions out.>> Set / and /home partitions, formatted as EXT4.>> Crashes as soon as it writes the changes, displays the backtrace and> restarts the installer.Ouch.  Could you confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer?It would seem that the bug comes from ‘read-partition-uuid’ returning #fin this function:--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---(define (user-partition->file-system user-partition)  "Convert the given USER-PARTITION record in a FILE-SYSTEM record from(gnu system file-systems) module and return it."  (let* ((mount-point (user-partition-mount-point user-partition))         (fs-type (user-partition-fs-type user-partition))         (crypt-label (user-partition-crypt-label user-partition))         (mount-type (user-fs-type->mount-type fs-type))         (file-name (user-partition-file-name user-partition))         (upper-file-name (user-partition-upper-file-name user-partition))         ;; Only compute uuid if partition is not encrypted.         (uuid (or crypt-label                   (uuid->string (read-partition-uuid file-name) fs-type))))    `(file-system       (mount-point ,mount-point)       (device ,@(if crypt-label                     `(,upper-file-name)                     `((uuid ,uuid (quote ,fs-type)))))       (type ,mount-type)       ,@(if crypt-label             '((dependencies mapped-devices))             '()))))--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---This can happen if a partition you chose to create actually containsrandom data or a file system not supported by (gnu build file-systems);this, in turn, can happen if you chose not to format partitions duringthe installation process.Could it be what happened in your case?Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 5089 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
  2022-07-15 14:15   ` sunspark
@ 2022-07-15 19:55     ` Peter
  2022-07-18  9:10       ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Peter @ 2022-07-15 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 56572

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3858 bytes --]

Follow-up: 1.3.0 installer couldn't be used again, will submit another bug
for the reason why separately.

Using the snapshot 520v5sznglla0z1g3mz6pfsml88b8gxx-image.iso did not have
the error 1.3.0 did trying to format/write to the partition and the install
was able to complete.

So it seems as if there is an issue with the partitioning software in the
1.3.0 image.


On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:18 AM sunspark <sunspark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer.
>
> I have since downloaded the snapshot installer but I haven't tested it
> yet. However I would need to be careful testing because this time around I
> have created raw unformatted partitions in Windows disk manager because it
> annoys me how different Linux disk utilities round numbers differently. The
> guix installer views 64 GB as 68.7 GB and entering 68.7 there to create a
> matching 64 creates 63.98 GB instead.
>
> I suppose I would need to run it twice again with the 1.3 first. Once to
> see if just formatting a windows created raw partition fixes it and once
> with a filesystem that isn't ext4 then the snapshot.
>
> My partition table is standard. 100 meg efi, 128 meg Microsoft reserved
> partiton, two NTFS partitions, the two ext4s I was attempting to create in
> unallocated space and a linux swap partition already created.
>
> Incidentally, the reboot command in F1 doesn't work either. Just black
> screens. Need to hold the power button down.
>
> Best,
> Peter
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my Galaxy
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
> Date: 2022-07-15 06:58 (GMT-05:00)
> To: Peter <sunspark@gmail.com>
> Cc: 56572@debbugs.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter <sunspark@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I did manual partitioning because I didn't want to wipe the other
> > partitions out.
> >
> > Set / and /home partitions, formatted as EXT4.
> >
> > Crashes as soon as it writes the changes, displays the backtrace and
> > restarts the installer.
>
> Ouch.  Could you confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer?
>
> It would seem that the bug comes from ‘read-partition-uuid’ returning #f
> in this function:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> (define (user-partition->file-system user-partition)
>   "Convert the given USER-PARTITION record in a FILE-SYSTEM record from
> (gnu system file-systems) module and return it."
>   (let* ((mount-point (user-partition-mount-point user-partition))
>          (fs-type (user-partition-fs-type user-partition))
>          (crypt-label (user-partition-crypt-label user-partition))
>          (mount-type (user-fs-type->mount-type fs-type))
>          (file-name (user-partition-file-name user-partition))
>          (upper-file-name (user-partition-upper-file-name user-partition))
>          ;; Only compute uuid if partition is not encrypted.
>          (uuid (or crypt-label
>                    (uuid->string (read-partition-uuid file-name)
> fs-type))))
>     `(file-system
>        (mount-point ,mount-point)
>        (device ,@(if crypt-label
>                      `(,upper-file-name)
>                      `((uuid ,uuid (quote ,fs-type)))))
>        (type ,mount-type)
>        ,@(if crypt-label
>              '((dependencies mapped-devices))
>              '()))))
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> This can happen if a partition you chose to create actually contains
> random data or a file system not supported by (gnu build file-systems);
> this, in turn, can happen if you chose not to format partitions during
> the installation process.
>
> Could it be what happened in your case?
>
> Ludo’.
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 5375 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
  2022-07-15 19:55     ` Peter
@ 2022-07-18  9:10       ` Ludovic Courtès
  2022-07-21 16:18         ` Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-07-18  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe, 56572, Josselin Poiret

Hi,

Peter <sunspark@gmail.com> skribis:

> Follow-up: 1.3.0 installer couldn't be used again, will submit another bug
> for the reason why separately.
>
> Using the snapshot 520v5sznglla0z1g3mz6pfsml88b8gxx-image.iso did not have
> the error 1.3.0 did trying to format/write to the partition and the install
> was able to complete.
>
> So it seems as if there is an issue with the partitioning software in the
> 1.3.0 image.

That suggests that this formatting bug was fixed in the meantime, which
is plausible because a lot of work has gone in the installer since
1.3.0.

Josselin, Mathieu, does that ring a bell?

Thanks,
Ludo’.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached
  2022-07-18  9:10       ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2022-07-21 16:18         ` Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2022-07-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Peter; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe, 56572

Hello everyone,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
> That suggests that this formatting bug was fixed in the meantime, which
> is plausible because a lot of work has gone in the installer since
> 1.3.0.
>
> Josselin, Mathieu, does that ring a bell?

None for me, but it could come from improvements in (gnu build
file-systems) and friends too, not just the installer.  I can't pinpoint
a specific commit that would do that, but there are some general reworks
that might have helped with this.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-07-21 16:19 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-07-15  5:29 bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached Peter
2022-07-15 10:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
2022-07-15 14:15   ` sunspark
2022-07-15 19:55     ` Peter
2022-07-18  9:10       ` Ludovic Courtès
2022-07-21 16:18         ` Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).