unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile-xapian 0.4.0 released
@ 2024-05-10 14:55 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2024-05-10 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi all,

guile-xapian 0.4.0 has been released.

guile-xapian provides Guile bindings for Xapian[1], a search engine
library used in popular applications such as the notmuch email
system. Xapian is a highly adaptable toolkit which allows developers to
easily add advanced indexing and search facilities to their own
applications. It has built-in support for several families of weighting
models and also supports a rich set of boolean query operators.

[1]: https://xapian.org/

Please find links to the project home page and tarball below. The
changes in this release are described in the NEWS file in the tarball.

https://guile-xapian.systemreboot.net/
https://guile-xapian.systemreboot.net/releases/guile-xapian-0.4.0.tar.lz
https://guile-xapian.systemreboot.net/releases/guile-xapian-0.4.0.tar.lz.asc

Cheers!
Arun

* Re: guile-xapian 0.4.0 released
@ 2024-05-11  3:56 ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2024-05-11  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: Guile User

Congrats!
I'm not familiar with Xapian, is it possible to do similar things as
VectorDB?

Best regards.

@ 2024-05-11 16:59   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2024-05-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: Guile User

Hi,

Thanks, Nala!

> I'm not familiar with Xapian, is it possible to do similar things as
> VectorDB?

I am not very familiar with VectorDB. From what I can tell, Xapian and
VectorDB seem to have similar application areas, but Xapian takes a lot
simpler and more traditional approach. You can find a description of the
theory behind Xapian at https://xapian.org/docs/intro_ir.html

Regards,

@ 2024-05-13  9:47   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-05-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: Arun Isaac, Guile User

Nala Ginrut <nalaginrut@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not familiar with Xapian, is it possible to do similar things as
> VectorDB?

Xapian cannot directly be used to build a vector database.  (I use
the pg_vector extension to postgresql for that purpose.)

Xapian creates a more traditional index for finding matching documents
with optimizations for full text and boolean searches.

--
Ricardo

* Re: guile-xapian 0.4.0 released
@ 2024-05-13 13:10     ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2024-05-13 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Arun Isaac, Guile User

Ricardo!
Thanks for the explanation. It's clear to me now.

Best regards.

@ 2024-05-17 18:11 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-05-17 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac, guile-user

Hi Arun,

On Fri, 10 May 2024 at 15:55, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

> guile-xapian 0.4.0 has been released.

Cool!  That’s nice.

It’s a motivation for resuming [1] as a Guix extension ;-)

1: [bug#39258] Faster guix search using an sqlite cache
Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
Fri, 24 Jan 2020 01:21:57 +0530
id:cu7pnfaar36.fsf@systemreboot.net
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/39258
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/cu7pnfaar36.fsf@systemreboot.net
https://yhetil.org/guix/cu7pnfaar36.fsf@systemreboot.net

Cheers,
simon

* Re: guile-xapian 0.4.0 released
@ 2024-05-22  3:14   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2024-05-22  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, guile-user

> It’s a motivation for resuming [1] as a Guix extension ;-)

Ah, I hadn't thought of xapian search as a Guix extension. Nice idea!
:-)

* Re: guile-xapian 0.4.0 released
@ 2024-05-22  4:31     ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2024-05-22  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, guile-user

>> It’s a motivation for resuming [1] as a Guix extension ;-)
>
> Ah, I hadn't thought of xapian search as a Guix extension. Nice idea!
> :-)

I'm happy to mentor someone if they are interested in such a project.