unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* (help NAME)
@ 2020-09-07 17:39 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-09-07 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

I'm reading the text that (help) displays

scheme@(guile-user)> (help)
Usage: (help NAME) gives documentation about objects named NAME (a symbol)
       (help REGEXP) ditto for objects with names matching REGEXP (a string)
       (help 'NAME) gives documentation for NAME, even if it is not an
object

[...]

I'm confused by the last line:

       (help 'NAME) gives documentation for NAME, even if it is not an
object

in the part: "even if it's not an object"

Conversely, the first line states: "...about objects named NAME..."

It seems that some things are objects and some things aren't

Which things are and which aren't ?

If I try

(help 'car)

I get

scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'car)
While compiling expression:
no code for module (quote car)

as if I had asked for help about a module

I'm confused

Which is a thing that is not an object that I could ask help about ?

Thanks

* Re: (help NAME)
@ 2020-09-10 17:24 ` Nate Rosenbloom
From: Nate Rosenbloom @ 2020-09-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

What Version of guile are you using? on 2.2.6 i get:
---
scheme@(guile-user)> (help cons)
No documentation found for:
(guile): cons
scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'ice-9)
No documentation found for ice-9
scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'car)
No documentation found for car
scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
$2 = "2.2.6"
---

* Re: (help NAME)
@ 2020-09-10 23:39   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-09-10 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Rosenbloom; +Cc: Guile User

Hi,

Il giorno gio 10 set 2020 alle ore 19:24 Nate Rosenbloom <
nate.rosenbloom@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> What Version of guile are you using? on 2.2.6 i get:
> ---
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help cons)
> No documentation found for:
> (guile): cons
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'ice-9)
> No documentation found for ice-9
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'car)
> No documentation found for car
> scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
> $2 = "2.2.6"
> ---

I'm using Guile 3.0.1

it comes with Ubuntu 20.04

scheme@(guile-user)> (help cons)
`cons' is a procedure in the (srfi srfi-1) module.

- Function: cons _ _

scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'ice-9)
While compiling expression:
no code for module (quote ice-9)
scheme@(guile-user)> (help (ice-9))
While compiling expression:
no code for module (ice-9)
scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'car)
While compiling expression:
no code for module (quote car)
scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
$1 = "3.0.1"

* Re: (help NAME)
@ 2020-09-13  8:49   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-09-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Rosenbloom; +Cc: Guile User

Il giorno gio 10 set 2020 alle ore 19:24 Nate Rosenbloom <
nate.rosenbloom@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> What Version of guile are you using? on 2.2.6 i get:
> ---
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help cons)
> No documentation found for:
> (guile): cons
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'ice-9)
> No documentation found for ice-9
> scheme@(guile-user)> (help 'car)
> No documentation found for car
> scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
> $2 = "2.2.6"
> ---

So the behaviour I described seems to be in the current master too

I think this is enough to file a ticket in the ticket tracker