unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* scsh or similar?
@ 2017-08-26  6:43 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-08-26  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I was intrigued by the idea of replacing my default shell with some
scheme based shell. I guess there used to be something call scsh but it
hasn't been maintained in years. Has some other project taken the
baton? Or would I have to resurrect scsh myself?

--
https://qlfiles.net
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

* Re: scsh or similar?
@ 2017-08-26  7:31 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-08-26  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Howard transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hi, I was intrigued by the idea of replacing my default shell with some
> scheme based shell. I guess there used to be something call scsh but it
> hasn't been maintained in years. Has some other project taken the
> baton? Or would I have to resurrect scsh myself?

With regards to scsh, someone has recently made efforts to update it
at https://github.com/scheme/scsh

I think when I packaged it for Guix there were some
comments on its state, but it is usable at the very least.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: scsh or similar?
@ 2017-08-27  7:32 ` Chaos Eternal
From: Chaos Eternal @ 2017-08-27  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Israelsson Tampe have some efforts on porting scsh to guile:
https://gitlab.com/guile-scsh/guile-scsh

And I made some bug fixes and a little improvement to it:
https://github.com/ChaosEternal/guile-scsh/tree/master/scsh
I am using it as script languages, for examle, a couple of scripts managing
kvm virtual machines
https://github.com/ChaosEternal/vmscripts

But it lakes a lot of features to be able to used as login shell: job
management, terminal session management, and it is not encouraged to use it
with guile's multithread. Also, it's REPL can not complete file names and
paths.