unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* overloading an existing operator in Guile
@ 2023-10-03  9:13 Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2023-10-03  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

hello,
is it possible to overload an existing operator in Guile?

example overload + to concatenate vectors.

for example in Scheme (+ i admit) i can do :
; first stage overloading
(define-overload-existing-operator +)

; second stage overloading
(overload-existing-operator + vector-append (vector? vector?))

and use it like that:
> (+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5 6))
'#(1 2 3 4 5 6)
> (+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5) #(6 7 8 9))
'#(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
> {#(1 2) + #(3) + #(4 5 6)}
'#(1 2 3 4 5 6)

is it possible and how to do it using GOOPS (guile object oriented
programming system) , i already did some sort of thing with new object
, but not with an existing operator like + that apply to numbers only.

Regards,
Damien

* Re: overloading an existing operator in Guile
@ 2023-10-03  9:19 ` Jean Abou Samra
From: Jean Abou Samra @ 2023-10-03  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: guile-user

> Le 3 oct. 2023 à 11:14, Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> is it possible to overload an existing operator in Guile?

Yes, but it's a bit buggy. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64508

* Re: overloading an existing operator in Guile
@ 2023-10-03 10:33   ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2023-10-03 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Abou Samra; +Cc: guile-user

thank you
i understand i must overload + the usual way in <vector> class
scheme@(guile-user)> <vector>
$2 = #<<class> <vector> 104a6e380>

about the described problem this should not be a problem because -
<vector> as no sense in term of concatanate

@ 2023-10-03 18:24     ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2023-10-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

solution:

scheme@(guile-user)> (define-method (+ (x <vector>) (y <vector>))
(vector-append x y))
;;; <stdin>:11:46: warning: possibly unbound variable `vector-append'
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (srfi srfi-43))
scheme@(guile-user)> (+ 2 3)
$3 = 5
scheme@(guile-user)> (+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5))
$4 = #(1 2 3 4 5)

scheme@(guile-user)> {#(1 2 3) + #(4 5)}
$5 = #(1 2 3 4 5)

@ 2023-10-03 18:34 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2023-10-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei, guile-user

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1814 bytes --]

Op 03-10-2023 om 11:13 schreef Damien Mattei:
> hello,
> is it possible to overload an existing operator in Guile?
>
> example overload + to concatenate vectors.
>
> for example in Scheme (+ i admit) i can do :
> ; first stage overloading
> (define-overload-existing-operator +)
>
> ; second stage overloading
> (overload-existing-operator + vector-append (vector? vector?))
>
> and use it like that:
>> (+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5 6))
> '#(1 2 3 4 5 6)
>> (+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5) #(6 7 8 9))
> '#(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
>> {#(1 2) + #(3) + #(4 5 6)}
> '#(1 2 3 4 5 6)
>
> is it possible and how to do it using GOOPS (guile object oriented
> programming system) , i already did some sort of thing with new object
> , but not with an existing operator like + that apply to numbers only.

It's explained in ‘(guile)Methods and Generic Functions’ how to do this.

However, I very much recommend not doing this in your situation.

While this could be a valid interpretation of vector ‘addition’, here is
another valid interpretation incompatible with yours:

;; element-wise addition
(+ #(1 2 3) #(4 5 6))
#(5 7 9)

Sure, you could choose vector appending in Scheme+ and document that
appropriately, but so could a hypothetical SchemePlus choose
element-wise addition, and then if someone imports a library using
Scheme+ and also a library SchemePlus, there is ambiguity and GOOPS will
get things wrong!

Instead, I propose using the symbol '++' and defining a new method named
'++'.  It would unambiguously mean ‘appending’ (*) instead of
‘addition’, and as an additional benefit, some other languages (^) use
'++' to mean appending as well.

(*) string-append, append, vector-append, ...
(^) for example, Coq and Haskell

Best regards,
Maxime Devos.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: overloading an existing operator in Guile
@ 2023-10-03 18:41   ` Jean Abou Samra
From: Jean Abou Samra @ 2023-10-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Damien Mattei, guile-user

> Le 3 oct. 2023 à 20:35, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> a écrit :
>
> It's explained in ‘(guile)Methods and Generic Functions’ how to do this.
>
> However, I very much recommend not doing this in your situation.

+1. I'd recommend only implementing a method foo on a type bar if you are in control of either foo or bar. (Rust has an analogous concept called "trait coherence".)

* Re: overloading an existing operator in Guile
@ 2023-10-03 19:01     ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2023-10-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Abou Samra; +Cc: Maxime Devos, guile-user

i agree with you all but there is a misunderstanding of what i'm
currently doing.

I'm not making + that append vectors a part of Scheme+, it is just for
a personal program that i want to overload it. This will never be in
Scheme+. (even if python use + for appending list, and list in python
are half way from scheme's vectors and scheme's list, perheaps the
confusion is coming from that)