unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile and libtool versions
@ 2010-04-15 16:21 Luc, Kevin
From: Luc, Kevin @ 2010-04-15 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

  I have installed guile 1.8.7 and libtool-1.5.6.  When I try to run my
test app I get the following error:

error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

  I looked at the so's that were installed for libtool and they were:

libltdl.so

libltdl.so.3

libltdl.so.3.1.0

I thought maybe there is a versioning problem, so I tried the latest
version of libtool, libtool-2.2.6b.tar.gz, but the so's that were
generated were the following:

libltdl.so.7.2.1

libltdl.so.7

libltdl.so

The guile 1.8.7  readme says that it requires anything later than 1.5.6.
I also tried to create a symbolic link:

ln -s libltdl.so.7.2.1 libltdl.so.0

ln -s libltdl.so.3.1.0 libltdl.so.0

but in both cases I got errors :

relocation error: /apps/libs/libltdl.so.0: undefined symbol:
lt_libltdl_LTX_preloaded_symbols

Can anybody tell me what happened?  Did I mess up the configuration?  Or
are the versions miss matched?

Thanks,

Kevin.

This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or legally exempt from disclosure.  If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain a copy of or disseminate any portion of this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender via return e-mail and delete it from your system.

* Re: guile and libtool versions
@ 2010-04-17 10:56 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-04-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc, Kevin; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Kevin,

I suggest installing libtool-1.5.6 from your distro's packages, if
possible. Or better, libtool 2.2.6b from packages.

On Thu 15 Apr 2010 18:21, "Luc, Kevin" <KLuc@sjm.com> writes:

>   I have installed guile 1.8.7 and libtool-1.5.6.  When I try to run my test app I get the following error:
>
> error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try running the equivalent of "ldd" on your binary, and on libguile.so,
to see what it's trying to pull in. You should get a message if your
system can't find libldtl.so.

> I also tried to create a symbolic link:

This way lies madness :) It's easy to mess up a system if you go too far
down this road.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* RE: guile and libtool versions
@ 2010-04-19 16:59   ` Luc, Kevin
From: Luc, Kevin @ 2010-04-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

Hi guys,
  Thanks for the responses.  I had in fact built the latest libtool, but
I had forgotten to add it to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so I think the build
was finding some older version and linking against that, so at runtime
the versions were not matching.
  I had a spelling mistake in specifying the prefix directory for
libtool, so the install was going into a different directory ("lib")
instead of the intended dir ("libs") ARGG!