unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-10-01 13:19 dev.admin
From: dev.admin @ 2010-10-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I'm building gnuTLS with-guile but I get the following
error stating that it can't find the required library.

Output from gnuTLS make
-----------------------
*
Making all in openpgp-certs
Making all in guile
Making all in modules
Making all in src
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3", message: "dlopen(libguile-
srfi-srfi-1-v-3.so, 9): image not found"
make[3]: *** [enum-map.i.c] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

When building guile, the libraries are built as
dynamic so the compiler gets sent different options
and I get a different suffix. Meanwhile, gnuTLS is
looking for shared libraries.

I've checked several Makefiles to see if the facility
was available to make the shared libraries but didn't
find anything that may have helped.

Therefore, I believe the answer lies in the configure
script extracting and setting various variables. It is
possible to fool the system into building shared
libraries or a hack.

Andrew.

* Re: [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-10-01 14:21 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-10-01 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev.admin; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri 01 Oct 2010 15:19, dev.admin@ntlworld.com writes:

> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3", message: "dlopen(libguile-
> srfi-srfi-1-v-3.so, 9): image not found"

Which version of Guile? Where did you install Guile?

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-10-01 14:24 dev.admin
From: dev.admin @ 2010-10-01 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Andy,

The version is 1.8.7 and the i've installed
it into /usr/local/gnu/lib.

* Re: [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-10-03 10:29 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-10-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev.admin; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri 01 Oct 2010 16:24, dev.admin@ntlworld.com writes:

> Andy,
>
> The version is 1.8.7 and the i've installed
> it into /usr/local/gnu/lib.

Is /usr/local/gnu/lib in your equivalent of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH? I know
that darwin has something different, but I don't know what it is.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-10-03 16:06   ` Hans Aberg
From: Hans Aberg @ 2010-10-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user, dev.admin

On 3 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Andy Wingo wrote:

>> The version is 1.8.7 and the i've installed
>> it into /usr/local/gnu/lib.
>
> Is /usr/local/gnu/lib in your equivalent of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH? I know
> that darwin has something different, but I don't know what it is.

Mac OS X 10.5.8:
   /usr/local/lib/libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3.3.dylib

In the past, there was the problem that it could not open dynamic
libraries ending on .dylib - had to be .so. Guile calls libtools that
is doing these lookups.

* Re: [darwin] building shared libraries (.so) instead of dynamic libraries.
@ 2010-12-04 14:10   ` dev.admin
From: dev.admin @ 2010-12-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

Hey guys,

After getting round to testing some other EV,
it does turn out to be the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable that points to the shared .so libs.

I thought it had to end in .dylib for it to
work but it seems to work with .so libs as well.

Thanks for your help.

A.