unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Help installing guile-ncurses
@ 2023-02-05 23:44 paul wisehart
From: paul wisehart @ 2023-02-05 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!,

I am pretty new to guile, I am trying to install guile-ncurses.

I'm on OpenBSD 7.2

I have installed the guile3 package.
That's the only guile OS package I see.

I was able to install guile-json locally, so I am trying to install guile-ncurses
similarly.

I installed automake and set:
export AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.69
export AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.16
(this was also needed to install guile-json)

I installed libunistring and libtool to get past configure errors.

Now I can configure and make successfully with:
./configure --prefix=/home/wise/guile CC=clang CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'

This is successful.
Now I run make.

It errors out the first time saying it can't find libguile-ncurses.so
so i:
cd src/ncurses/.libs/
ln -s libguile-ncurses.so.12.1 libguile-ncurses.so

now make succeeds.

Now i run make install, and it errors with:
mkdir: /usr/local/share/guile/site/3.0/ncurses: Permission denied

See in my configure I set the prefix ?
This worked for json, which installed into $HOME/guile/...
(And i've used it succesfully in guile code)

Any ideas ?

Happy to give more info or try things and report back.

Thanks!

--
Paul

* Re: Help installing guile-ncurses
@ 2023-02-06  0:20 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2023-02-06  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul wisehart; +Cc: guile-user

On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 06:44:28PM -0500, paul wisehart wrote:
> Hi!,
>
> I am pretty new to guile, I am trying to install guile-ncurses.
>
> I'm on OpenBSD 7.2
>
> I have installed the guile3 package.
> That's the only guile OS package I see.
>
> I was able to install guile-json locally, so I am trying to install guile-ncurses
> similarly.
>
> I installed automake and set:
> export AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.69
> export AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.16
> (this was also needed to install guile-json)
>
> I installed libunistring and libtool to get past configure errors.
>
> Now I can configure and make successfully with:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/wise/guile CC=clang CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
>
> This is successful.
> Now I run make.
>
> It errors out the first time saying it can't find libguile-ncurses.so
> so i:
> cd src/ncurses/.libs/
> ln -s libguile-ncurses.so.12.1 libguile-ncurses.so

Yeah, around guile 3.0.7, it stopped using libltdl which
would do that version number searching for you.  Now,
all packages that make binary extensions need to be fixed
to make version-less binary extensions.  That's something
guile-ncurses needs to fix for itself.

> now make succeeds.
>
> Now i run make install, and it errors with:
> mkdir: /usr/local/share/guile/site/3.0/ncurses: Permission denied
>
> See in my configure I set the prefix ?
> This worked for json, which installed into $HOME/guile/...
> (And i've used it succesfully in guile code)
>
> Any ideas ?

For guile-ncurses configure, if you add the option
 --with-gnu-filesystem-hierarchy, it will try to be more strict
 on where it installs, so that might help.

Note that you'll probably need to
 set GUILE_LOAD_PATH to point to the code
 and GUILE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS_PATH to point to the libguile-ncurses.so.

> Happy to give more info or try things and report back.

Regards,
Mike Gran

@ 2023-02-06  0:41   ` paul wisehart
From: paul wisehart @ 2023-02-06  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user

On Sun, Feb 5, 2023, at 7:20 PM, Mike Gran wrote:
> Yeah, around guile 3.0.7, it stopped using libltdl which
> would do that version number searching for you.  Now,
> all packages that make binary extensions need to be fixed
> to make version-less binary extensions.  That's something
> guile-ncurses needs to fix for itself.

<snipped>

> For guile-ncurses configure, if you add the option
>  --with-gnu-filesystem-hierarchy, it will try to be more strict
>  on where it installs, so that might help.
>
> Note that you'll probably need to
>  set GUILE_LOAD_PATH to point to the code
>  and GUILE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS_PATH to point to the libguile-ncurses.so.

Thanks so much!!!!!

--with-gnu-filesystem-hierarchy made "make install" install to where i set the --prefix.

I already have:
GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=/home/wise/guile/lib/guile/3.0
GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/home/wise/guile/share/guile/site/3.0

But I'll know to try GUILE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS_PATH if the code doesn't load.

Thanks!
--
Paul