unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 13:01 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2010-04-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo, Ludovic Courtès, Guile Development,
	Guile User List

Hi Everyone!

I feel the time has come for me to step down from the Guile
maintainership.  Andy and Ludo are doing an amazing job as the other
maintainers, and I have no doubt that Guile's future is bright:
technically fascinating, and showing new signs of become ubiquitous
within the GNU project, as was its original intention.

For me personally, the reality is that I've always been more a steady
pair of hands for Guile than a creative powerhouse, and I'd now like to
spend more of my time on many other things that are calling for it - and
without a slight feeling of guilt that I should be keeping that time for
Guile.

I still plan to hang around, as one of Guile's many users and occasional
contributors.  In particular I hope to continue making contributions
towards getting the manual ready for publication sometime this year.
But generally I look forward to sitting back and enjoying the ride!

If there are specific things that people believe to be on my list as a
maintainer, and so were/are expecting me to get to at some point, please
email me (either privately or publicly, as appropriate) so we can decide
what to do about those.

Best wishes to all, and here's looking forward to Guile 2.0!

     Neil

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 13:40 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-04-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: Andy Wingo, Guile User List, Guile Development

Hi Neil,

Well, I understand your decision.  Thanks again for all the work you’ve
been doing fixing bug, improving the manual, benchmarking, reviewing
patches, and generally improving Guile and making it a nice project to
contribute to!  Your input is always appreciated.

Hope we’ll all keep enjoying the ride towards 2.0!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 14:56   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-04-05 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User List, Guile Development, Neil Jerram

On Mon 05 Apr 2010 15:40, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Thanks again for all the work you’ve been doing fixing bug, improving
> the manual, benchmarking, reviewing patches, and generally improving
> Guile and making it a nice project to contribute to! Your input is
> always appreciated.
>
> Hope we’ll all keep enjoying the ride towards 2.0!  :-)

All the same sentiments from me. Thank you very much, and as they say,
"so long, but not farewell" :-)

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 17:22 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2010-04-05 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram, Andy Wingo, Ludovic Courtès, Guile Development

Many thanks, Neil.  Good luck.

-Mike

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 18:03   ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2010-04-05 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran
  Cc: Andy Wingo, Ludovic Courtès, Guile Development, Neil Jerram,
	Guile User List

Thanks Neil !

--linas

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-05 21:55 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-04-05 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile Development, Guile User List

() Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net>
() Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:01:55 +0100

   I still plan to hang around, as one of Guile's many users and
   occasional contributors.  In particular I hope to continue
   making contributions towards getting the manual ready for
   publication sometime this year.  But generally I look forward
   to sitting back and enjoying the ride!

   [...]

   Best wishes to all, and here's looking forward to Guile 2.0!

Thanks for your work on Guile; we have all benefited enormously.

I understand the feeling of relief felt when purposefully parting
with a project, as well as the niggling worries that accompany the
transition.  Are there any pointers you'd like to leave us so that
we can understand and continue the Neil Jerram, Guile-Hacker style?

thi

* Re: Resigning from Guile maintainership
@ 2010-04-06 21:14     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2010-04-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linasvepstas, paul.emsley, Mike Gran, Andy Wingo,
	Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: Guile User List, Guile Development

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

    Neil

@ 2010-04-15 23:00   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2010-04-15 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: Guile User List, Guile Development

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> Are there any pointers you'd like to leave us so that
> we can understand and continue the Neil Jerram, Guile-Hacker style?

Unfortunately it's been a while since I had a really good protracted
hack - I think that's another reflection of changing life...

The three that occur to me now were all fantastic and absorbing uses of
Guile...

- The first development of debugging infrastructure and GDS, which I did
  on a lovely week off in Brighton, pre-child.

- The 1.8 elisp translator.  Can't remember exactly when that was, but
  it was fun.

- Integrating Guile with my work's software - which is unfortunately not
  free, and so I can't provide much detail about it...  But (in my view
  at least) the Guile layer added so much capability, and allowed me to
  play with lots of things quickly like web interfaces and a GOOPS
  representation of the concepts in that software.  That was post-child,
  after I noticed that babies sometimes do lots of sleeping :-)

In summary, I think the main thing, at least for me, is having a nice
big wodge of spare time to devote!

Best wishes,
      Neil