unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17  6:42 Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-05-17  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!

I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes with
a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up to
6x faster).

Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues plus a
bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the way.

* About

guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.

- Complies with http://json.org specification.
- Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
- Allows JSON pretty printing.

* Download

Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig

[*] To verify download both files and then run:

   gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
        --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4

   gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig

* Changes since 3.5.0

https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS

Bugs and comments can be reported at
https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues

Happy hacking!

Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17  9:08 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-05-17  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!

Congrats to the new version!

Your project has made quite some progress!

Best regards,
Zelphir

On 5/17/20 8:42 AM, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes with
> a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up to
> 6x faster).
>
> Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues plus a
> bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the way.
>
> * About
>
> guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
>
> - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> - Allows JSON pretty printing.
>
> * Download
>
> Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
>
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> [*] To verify download both files and then run:
>
>    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
>         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
>
>    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> * Changes since 3.5.0
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
>
> Bugs and comments can be reported at
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17 13:00 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2020-05-17 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Excellent — congrats!  I use this module on a daily basis! :-)

Alex

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes with
> a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up to
> 6x faster).
>
> Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues plus a
> bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the way.
>
> * About
>
> guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
>
> - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> - Allows JSON pretty printing.
>
> * Download
>
> Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
>
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> [*] To verify download both files and then run:
>
>    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
>         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
>
>    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> * Changes since 3.5.0
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
>
> Bugs and comments can be reported at
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17 17:37 ` Linus Björnstam
From: Linus Björnstam @ 2020-05-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué, guile-user

Thanks for the mention. I have managed to squeeze another 10% out of my test bed code, but that was at quite some expense of readability (no character peeking, byte-based I/o where it makes sense, some heuristics changes). I will try to prettify it and send you the link later on.

We are roughly half as fast as rackets JSON module running in racket-cs, which is not bad!

Regarding our (ice-9 match) slowness:
I wrote a patch for reducing equal? with a char literal to eqv?, but it was so hideous that Andy wrote a proper patch for it, and from guile 3.0.3 equal? and eqv? will be reduced to faster equality checking for suitable literals! Everybody wins!
--
  Linus Björnstam

On Sun, 17 May 2020, at 08:42, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes with
> a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up to
> 6x faster).
>
> Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues plus a
> bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the way.
>
> * About
>
> guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
>
> - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> - Allows JSON pretty printing.
>
> * Download
>
> Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
>
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> [*] To verify download both files and then run:
>
>    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
>         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
>
>    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> * Changes since 3.5.0
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
>
> Bugs and comments can be reported at
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-17 17:46 ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-05-17 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Just released guile-json 4.0.1. This is just a simple fix on the default
value for the #:validate keyword argument in (scm->json-string). It should
default to true as in (scm->json) and as stated in the documentation.
Thanks to Christopher Lam for pointing that out.

Same as before but with 4.0.1:

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.1.tar.gz
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.1.tar.gz.sig

Best,

Aleix

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 11:42 PM Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <
aconchillo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes
> with a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements
> (up to 6x faster).
>
> Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues plus
> a bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the
> way.
>
> * About
>
> guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
>
> - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> - Allows JSON pretty printing.
>
> * Download
>
> Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
>

> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
>
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> [*] To verify download both files and then run:
>
>    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
>         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
>
>    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
>
> * Changes since 3.5.0
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
>
> Bugs and comments can be reported at
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17 17:47   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-05-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: guile-user

That's awesome! Is this for work or side projects?

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 6:01 AM Alex Sassmannshausen <
alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent — congrats!  I use this module on a daily basis! :-)
>
> Alex
>
> Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes
> with
> > a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up
> > 6x faster).
> >
> > Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues
> plus a
> > bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the
> way.
> >
> > * About
> >
> > guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> > JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
> >
> > - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> > - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> > - Allows JSON pretty printing.
> >
> > * Download
> >
> > Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
> >

> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
> >
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
> >
> > [*] To verify download both files and then run:
> >
> >    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
> >         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
> >
> >    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
> >
> > * Changes since 3.5.0
> >
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
> >
> > Bugs and comments can be reported at
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
> >
> > Happy hacking!
> >
> > Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17 18:15   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-05-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: guile-user

Thank you! And there are always more things to improve.

Aleix

On Sun, May 17, 2020, 2:08 AM Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Congrats to the new version!
>
> Your project has made quite some progress!
>
> Best regards,
> Zelphir
>
> On 5/17/20 8:42 AM, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm super excited to announce guile-json 4.0.0. This new version comes
> with
> > a couple of small breaking changes and huge performance improvements (up
> > 6x faster).
> >
> > Huge thanks to Linus Björnstam who brought up the performance issues
> plus a
> > bunch of suggestions of how to improve them and followed along all the
> way.
> >
> > * About
> >
> > guile-json is a JSON module for Guile. It supports parsing and building
> > JSON documents according to the http://json.org specification.
> >
> > - Complies with http://json.org specification.
> > - Builds JSON documents programmatically using scheme data types.
> > - Allows JSON pretty printing.
> >
> > * Download
> >
> > Compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
> >

> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz
> >
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/guile-json/guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
> >
> > [*] To verify download both files and then run:
> >
> >    gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org \
> >         --recv-keys 7CEC5511C8D057A9EF17470C54D4CC6FFC7468F4
> >
> >    gpg --verify guile-json-4.0.0.tar.gz.sig
> >
> > * Changes since 3.5.0
> >
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/blob/master/NEWS
> >
> > Bugs and comments can be reported at
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-json/issues
> >
> > Happy hacking!
> >
> > Aleix

* Re: guile-json 4.0.0 released
@ 2020-05-17 20:57     ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2020-05-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> writes:

> That's awesome! Is this for work or side projects?

I use it for both — though on a daily basis, I depend on it for work
projects.  I have client libraries to popular online services
(GoCardless and MailChimp) that are close to production level quality
which depend on guile-json.

It's been super reliable!

Cheers,

Alex