unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile Hoot v0.3.0 released!
@ 2024-01-30 16:37 Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2024-01-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hey Guilers!

On behalf of the Spritely Institute, I'm happy to announce that Guile
Hoot v0.3.0 has been released! Hoot is a Scheme to WebAssembly
compiler backend for Guile, which means you can now run Scheme in the
browser for real, tail calls and all.

The highlights of this release are:

* Partially implemented module system. Standard R7RS modules are now
available for import along with some Hoot specific ones. User-defined
modules not yet supported.

* More R7RS-small support.

* Toolchain can now emit debug names in Wasm binaries.

* New R6RS-inspired hashtable interface. Both regular and weak key
flavors. Limited to 'eq' tables only, for now.

* (hoot reflect) now automatically loads reflect.wasm, a convenience
that fixes the most common new user stumbling block.

Read the full release notes here:
https://spritely.institute/news/guile-hoot-v030-released.html

If you use Guix then it's easy to try out Hoot:

    guix pull
    guix shell guile-next guile-hoot

If you're going to be at FOSDEM this weekend, make sure you check out
the "Scheme in the Browser with Guile Hoot and WebAssembly" talk that
my colleague Robin Templeton will be presenting in the Declarative and
Minimalistic Computing devroom.

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2339-scheme-in-the-browser-with-guile-hoot-and-webassembly/

Christine Lemmer-Webber and Jessica Tallon from Spritely will also be
there, so say hi if you see them! Christine will be presenting
"Spritely, Guile, Guix: a unified vision for user security" so make
sure you check that out, too!

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2331-spritely-guile-guix-a-unified-vision-for-user-security/

Happy hooting!

- Dave

* Re: Guile Hoot v0.3.0 released!
@ 2024-01-30 23:43 ` Daniel Skinner
From: Daniel Skinner @ 2024-01-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guile User

congratulations on the release!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024, 10:39 AM Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu>
wrote:

> Hey Guilers!
>
> On behalf of the Spritely Institute, I'm happy to announce that Guile
> Hoot v0.3.0 has been released! Hoot is a Scheme to WebAssembly
> compiler backend for Guile, which means you can now run Scheme in the
> browser for real, tail calls and all.
>
> The highlights of this release are:
>
> * Partially implemented module system. Standard R7RS modules are now
> available for import along with some Hoot specific ones. User-defined
> modules not yet supported.
>
> * More R7RS-small support.
>
> * Toolchain can now emit debug names in Wasm binaries.
>
> * New R6RS-inspired hashtable interface. Both regular and weak key
> flavors. Limited to 'eq' tables only, for now.
>
> * (hoot reflect) now automatically loads reflect.wasm, a convenience
> that fixes the most common new user stumbling block.
>
> Read the full release notes here:
> https://spritely.institute/news/guile-hoot-v030-released.html
>
> If you use Guix then it's easy to try out Hoot:
>
>     guix pull
>     guix shell guile-next guile-hoot
>
> If you're going to be at FOSDEM this weekend, make sure you check out
> the "Scheme in the Browser with Guile Hoot and WebAssembly" talk that
> my colleague Robin Templeton will be presenting in the Declarative and
> Minimalistic Computing devroom.
>

> https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2339-scheme-in-the-browser-with-guile-hoot-and-webassembly/
>
> Christine Lemmer-Webber and Jessica Tallon from Spritely will also be
> there, so say hi if you see them! Christine will be presenting
> "Spritely, Guile, Guix: a unified vision for user security" so make
> sure you check that out, too!
>

> https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2331-spritely-guile-guix-a-unified-vision-for-user-security/
>
> Happy hooting!
>
> - Dave