unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* (define ((f a) b) ...)
@ 2010-01-19 14:15 Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-01-19 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

In Guile 1.9 NEWS:

  ** The currying behavior of `define' has been removed.

  Before, `(define ((f a) b) (* a b))' would translate to

    (define f (lambda (a) (lambda (b) (* a b))))

  Now a syntax error is signaled, as this syntax is not supported
  by default.  If there is sufficient demand, this syntax can be
  supported again by default.

+1 for re-instating it, or for adding to NEWS some hint on how to
re-enable support (i take it "not supported by default" means it
is supported with some configuration/switch).

This is used by Guile-WWW (which barring this, is ready for a
fresh "tested with Guile 1.9.x" sticker, and release), and ttn-do,
and probably other stuff i maintain, as well.

thi

* Re: (define ((f a) b) ...)
@ 2010-01-21 19:58 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-01-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Thien-Thi,

On Tue 19 Jan 2010 08:15, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> In Guile 1.9 NEWS:
>
>   ** The currying behavior of `define' has been removed.
>
>   Before, `(define ((f a) b) (* a b))' would translate to
>
>     (define f (lambda (a) (lambda (b) (* a b))))
>
>   Now a syntax error is signaled, as this syntax is not supported
>   by default.  If there is sufficient demand, this syntax can be
>   supported again by default.
>
> +1 for re-instating it, or for adding to NEWS some hint on how to
> re-enable support (i take it "not supported by default" means it
> is supported with some configuration/switch).

Actually support for it was removed entirely. That might have been
appropriate at that point in guile-vm development, but we should
definitely re-add support, via a module.

I'll put it on my list.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: (define ((f a) b) ...)
@ 2010-01-23  0:39   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-01-23  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

() Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
() Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:58:53 -0600

   Actually support for it was removed entirely. That might have been
   appropriate at that point in guile-vm development, but we should
   definitely re-add support, via a module.

   I'll put it on my list.

Thanks for looking into this.  I look forward to it.

thi

* Re: (define ((f a) b) ...)
@ 2010-04-07 22:44     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-04-07 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: guile-user

On Sat 23 Jan 2010 01:39, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
> () Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:58:53 -0600
>
>    Actually support for it was removed entirely. That might have been
>    appropriate at that point in guile-vm development, but we should
>    definitely re-add support, via a module.
>
>    I'll put it on my list.
>
> Thanks for looking into this.  I look forward to it.

(use-modules (ice-9 curried-definitions))

Perhaps too verbose a name, no?

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: (define ((f a) b) ...)
@ 2010-04-08  9:28       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-04-08  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

() Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
() Thu, 08 Apr 2010 00:44:01 +0200

   (use-modules (ice-9 curried-definitions))

Wonderful news!  Now i have some incentive to return to Guile hacking.
(For a while, i lost gumption when i learned of this missing feature.)
I suppose, first thing to do is to dist upgrade...

   Perhaps too verbose a name, no?

I don't think so.  A module name is typically used once.  Therefore,
more descriptive (which is often goes with verbosity) is better.

thi