unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Presenting Schmutz, easy C++ bindings for Guile
@ 2017-07-27 22:25 Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente
From: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente @ 2017-07-27 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi y'all!

I would to present Schmutz, a new library I am working on.  This
library makes it easy to write Scheme bindings for C++ code.
Something like Boost.Python or LuaBind, but for Guile:

    https://sinusoid.es/schmutz
    https://github.com/arximboldi/schmutz

It is still still experimental and incomplete, but I am happy with the
direction it is heading to.  You can check some examples in the
documentation above.  I would love to hear what you think about the
whole approach, and if you think this could be useful for you.

By the way, this project spined off some Clojure style immutable
data-structures for C++ project I am working on, which include
experimental Guile support:

    https://sinusoid.es/immer
    https://github.com/arximboldi/immer

Cheers!

  JP

* Re: Presenting Schmutz, easy C++ bindings for Guile
@ 2017-07-27 23:28 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2017-07-27 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente; +Cc: guile-user

Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente writes:

> Hi y'all!

Hi Juan!

> I would to present Schmutz, a new library I am working on.  This
> library makes it easy to write Scheme bindings for C++ code.
> Something like Boost.Python or LuaBind, but for Guile:
>
>     https://sinusoid.es/schmutz
>     https://github.com/arximboldi/schmutz
>
> It is still still experimental and incomplete, but I am happy with the
> direction it is heading to.  You can check some examples in the
> documentation above.  I would love to hear what you think about the
> whole approach, and if you think this could be useful for you.

Very cool.  I don't have time to investigate it at the moment, but I
wonder if this could be used to make general Guile bindings to Xapian?
That's something I've long wanted.

> By the way, this project spined off some Clojure style immutable
> data-structures for C++ project I am working on, which include
> experimental Guile support:
>
>     https://sinusoid.es/immer
>     https://github.com/arximboldi/immer

Cool!

* Re: Presenting Schmutz, easy C++ bindings for Guile
@ 2017-07-28  0:01   ` Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente
From: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente @ 2017-07-28  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Christofer,

> Very cool.  I don't have time to investigate it at the moment, but I
> wonder if this could be used to make general Guile bindings to Xapian?
> That's something I've long wanted.

Thanks!  I just took a quick look at how Xapian does bindings, and
they are using SWIG, which has Guile support [1], so that's probably a
shorter path to achieve your goals.

On the other hand, Schmutz might be a better fit for project that
whant to avoid code generation (like SWIG) or need more intimate
controll at the boundaries between the C++ and Scheme.

[1] http://www.swig.org/Doc2.0/Guile.html

@ 2017-07-28  9:19 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hey Juan Pedro,

Long time no see!  :-)

Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente <juanpe@sinusoid.es> skribis:

> I would to present Schmutz, a new library I am working on.  This
> library makes it easy to write Scheme bindings for C++ code.
> Something like Boost.Python or LuaBind, but for Guile:
>
>     https://sinusoid.es/schmutz
>     https://github.com/arximboldi/schmutz

Nice!

> By the way, this project spined off some Clojure style immutable
> data-structures for C++ project I am working on, which include
> experimental Guile support:
>
>     https://sinusoid.es/immer
>     https://github.com/arximboldi/immer

This looks very interesting too!

We should add more persistent data structure libraries into Guile
proper.

Ludo’.

* Re: Presenting Schmutz, easy C++ bindings for Guile
@ 2017-07-28 14:22     ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2017-07-28 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente; +Cc: guile-user

Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente writes:

> Hi Christofer,
>
>> Very cool.  I don't have time to investigate it at the moment, but I
>> wonder if this could be used to make general Guile bindings to Xapian?
>> That's something I've long wanted.
>
> Thanks!  I just took a quick look at how Xapian does bindings, and
> they are using SWIG, which has Guile support [1], so that's probably a
> shorter path to achieve your goals.
>
> On the other hand, Schmutz might be a better fit for project that
> whant to avoid code generation (like SWIG) or need more intimate
> controll at the boundaries between the C++ and Scheme.
>
> [1] http://www.swig.org/Doc2.0/Guile.html
>
> Cheers!
>
>   JP

Thanks for the reply! :)