unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Fibers 1.1.0 released
@ 2022-01-31 18:27 Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2022-01-31 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi all,

On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers 1.1.0.

Fibers is a lightweight concurrency facility for Guile that supports
non-blocking
input and output, millions of concurrent threads, and Concurrent
ML-inspired communication primitives. For more information, see the web
version of the manual at:

  https://github.com/wingo/fibers/wiki/Manual

It's been a while since the last Fibers release back in 2017. This new
release includes a series of bug fixes and documentation improvements that
have been lying in the repository for a while. There are more pull requests
and improvements still in the repo and the hope is to start taking care of
them and address any issues very soon. Another main goal for this year is
to complete the support for other non-epoll backends (kqueue, libevent) so
more platforms can run Fibers.

The 1.1.0 tarball can be found here:

https://github.com/wingo/fibers/releases/download/v1.1.0/fibers-1.1.0.tar.gz

Its SHA256 sum is:

  a06698a3a41b608d5b3d3b46561cb4607d0f228d5c6c7fa12b2e420a751a1fd3
 fibers-1.1.0.tar.gz

* Changes since 1.0.0

- Destroy peer schedulers when returning from run-fibers.
- Handle EPOLLHUP like EPOLLERR.
- Don't use deprecated types scm_t_uint64 and scm_t_int64.
- Garbage collect synchronized items from channels queues.
- Added guix.scm for local development.
- Improve fibers performance by installing "catch" in scheduler instead of
in the fiber itself.
- Rebased fibers on top of lighter-weight "tasks".
- Garbage collect old condition waiters.
- Multiple documentation fixes and improvements.
- Added benchmarks.
- Support Guile 3.0 compilation.

Happy Hacking!

Aleix

* Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released
@ 2022-01-31 19:09 ` Vivien
From: Vivien @ 2022-01-31 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué, guile-user

Hello,

Le lundi 31 janvier 2022 à 10:27 -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué a
écrit :
> On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers
> 1.1.0.
Thank you. Fibers is a very important piece in the guile ecosystem. I
wish it were part of guile itself. Guile already has futures and
suspendable i/o out of the box; to me these two features make little
sense if there’s no Fibers on top of that. What do you think?

Best regards,

Vivien

* Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released
@ 2022-01-31 19:31   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2022-01-31 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vivien; +Cc: guile-user

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 11:11 AM Vivien <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le lundi 31 janvier 2022 à 10:27 -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué a
> écrit :
> > On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers
> > 1.1.0.
> Thank you. Fibers is a very important piece in the guile ecosystem. I
> wish it were part of guile itself. Guile already has futures and
> suspendable i/o out of the box; to me these two features make little
> sense if there’s no Fibers on top of that. What do you think?

That was and still is Andy's plan. I'll be working towards that goal by
first making it available to other platforms and by trying to address all
open issues. It will be then up to Guile maintainers to include it as part
of Guile which I believe would be a great thing to happen.

I'll be honest and say that I still don't know all Fibers internals so it
will take a bit of time for me to go through all open PRs and issues, so
bear with me :-).

Best,

Aleix

* Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released
@ 2022-02-01 13:15 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2022-02-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> writes:

> On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers 1.1.0.
>   https://github.com/wingo/fibers/wiki/Manual

That’s awesome! Thank you!

> - Added benchmarks.

Do you know the skynet benchmark?
https://github.com/atemerev/skynet/tree/master/guile-fibers

It would be interesting to know how 1.1.0 changes the skynet results :-)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released
@ 2022-02-01 15:43   ` Chris Vine
From: Chris Vine @ 2022-02-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:09:36 +0100
Vivien <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> wrote:
> Le lundi 31 janvier 2022 à 10:27 -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué a
> écrit :
> > On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers
> > 1.1.0.
> Thank you. Fibers is a very important piece in the guile ecosystem. I
> wish it were part of guile itself. Guile already has futures and
> suspendable i/o out of the box; to me these two features make little
> sense if there’s no Fibers on top of that. What do you think?

Guile's futures have plenty of uses other than fibres - they are a
generic way of offloading computations onto other cores.  I may be
wrong, but I don't think they are used by Fibers.

Suspendable ports are essential for practical use of Fibers but there
are other uses of them in asynchronous code, as for example in 8sync and
guile-a-sync.

The main issue with Fibers is that at present it is epoll-only (and so
linux-only).  It's great to hear that that is being addressed.

Chris