unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* What's to be considered on-topic for Guile mailing lists? (Re: The message chain with an happy ending)
       [not found]       ` <f692a03f-363b-4a9c-96c9-d01ecff4f644@reproduciblemedia.com>
@ 2023-07-05 11:06         ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2023-07-05 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blake Shaw
  Cc: Stefan Israelsson Tampe, Lars Magnus Jonsson, Markus Triska,
	Lenz Maria, Johan Lenz, Mikael Djurfeldt, Andy Wingo, Alex Shinn,
	Amirouche Boubekki, anders.bergdahl, Arne Babenhauserheide,
	Anton Bergström, Chaos Eternal, christoffer.holmstedt,
	guile-devel, eckhard.tampe, Tärna folkhögskola,
	flyktingguide.vasteras, Mikael Jansson, Ian Price, sarah.jansson,
	Sarah Jansson

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1977 bytes --]

Op 05-07-2023 om 12:42 schreef Blake Shaw:
> I think the guile mailing list has come to suffer seriously from a
> policing of what is appropriate for discussion. When I first started
> getting into guile at the beginning of 2021, the list was more open,
> active and enjoyable. Since then it has become a ghost town where
> tumbleweeds blow by in the time that remains between intermittent duals.
> But strangely there are still lots of people living in the town (ie
> guile users), they just seldom visit main street these days.
>
> I'm personally interested to hear about what Stefan and other Guilers
> are up to beyond Guile, insofar as nobody is directing hate or bigotry.
> But more importantly, I wish that Guile could again become a space that
> welcomes discourse insofar as that discourse isn't perceived by some as
> causing harm or stirring irrelevant controversy.

’Being policed for basic on-topicness’ and ‘open and enjoyable’ are not
mutually exclusive, and the former isn't a negative thing.

I find the ‘ghost town’ analogy a rather bad analogy; I would instead
say that 'guile-devel' is, say, a research lab (dedicated to Guile
itself) in an alive research centre (dedicated to Guile in general) --
the Guile department isn't really alive, but that's just because of lack
of applicants and interest in working on Guile itself, not because of a
bad work environment.

I don't have an issue with increasing the scope of what's considered
on-topic of the mailing list to also include ‘what are others up to
beyond Guile’ (changing it from ‘research lab’ to ‘an environment that
contains a (strict) research lab and (non-strict) hanging-out area’ in
the analogy).

However, this increase in scope hasn't actually happened yet -- it's
still named guile-devel (i.e., __development__) -- it needs a name
change, or some documentation in the manual.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

@ 2023-07-05 11:08         ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2023-07-05 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blake Shaw; +Cc: guile-devel, Guile User

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 43 bytes --]

(In future responses, let's trim the CC:)

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: What's to be considered on-topic for Guile mailing lists? (Re: The message chain with an happy ending)
@ 2023-07-05 13:58           ` Olivier Dion
From: Olivier Dion @ 2023-07-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, Blake Shaw
  Cc: Stefan Israelsson Tampe, Lars Magnus Jonsson, Markus Triska,

On Wed, 05 Jul 2023, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
> the Guile department isn't really alive, but that's just because of lack
> of applicants and interest in working on Guile itself, not because of a
> bad work environment.

On that matter, I do think lots of people are interested to work on
Guile core itself, myself included.  However, I find it difficult to
contribute in general and to have feedback.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev