unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile-OSC: Open Sound Control library for Guile
@ 2023-05-11 18:58 Thomas White
From: Thomas White @ 2023-05-11 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention a new project, Guile-OSC, which connects Guile
to Open Sound Control (http://opensoundcontrol.org/).  It's a thin
wrapper around liblo (https://github.com/radarsat1/liblo), aiming for
just enough abstraction to enable idiomatic Scheme code.

Repository is here: https://github.com/taw10/guile-osc

With this, you can connect your Guile programs to physical control
devices with buttons, faders and knobs.  There are hundreds of such
devices available, here are some randomly-selected examples:
https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonek2
https://store.djtechtools.com/products/midi-fighter-twister
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B1X
A small interface program is usually needed to convert the native
protocol (usually MIDI over USB) to/from OSC, but there are many
options.

In my case, I'm using Guile-OSC it as part of my theatrical lighting
control DSL, Starlet (https://github.com/taw10/starlet).

Comments/pull requests/bug reports welcome!

Tom

--
Thomas White <taw@bitwiz.me.uk> <taw@physics.org>
https://www.bitwiz.me.uk  https://github.com/taw10

* Re: Guile-OSC: Open Sound Control library for Guile
@ 2023-05-12  9:27 ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2023-05-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas White; +Cc: Guile User, Mikael Djurfeldt

Nice!

Sorry, but I couldn't help it: What happens if there's a garbage collection
in the middle of an arpeggio? :))

@ 2023-05-15 20:32   ` Thomas White
From: Thomas White @ 2023-05-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user; +Cc: mikael

On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:27:22 +0200
Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I couldn't help it: What happens if there's a garbage
> collection in the middle of an arpeggio? :))

Haha, even though one isn't "supposed" to use a garbage collected
language for anything "real-time", in practice it's been completely
fine.  First, the time resolution of the underlying control protocol
(DMX) is only about 20 ms anyway.  Second, the changes in output are
usually smooth curves over several seconds, so millisecond-level jitter
isn't perceptible - if it even affects the output values at all.

Tom