unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Chris Vine <vine35792468@gmail.com>
To: guile-user@gnu.org
Subject: Re: understanding guile-gi
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 02:16:13 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:39:47 +0000
Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:

> Thanks for the example link and the explanations! I'll try to learn from the
> example.
>
> Best regards,
> Zelphir
>
> On 1/16/22 5:45 PM, Luis Felipe wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 16th, 2022 at 1:37 PM, Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Which things are part of GTK and which things are part of Gnome? Currently my
> >> picture is: GTK contains all the GUI things and Gnome the data things. For
> >> example: GTK might contain some date picker dialog or popup or whatever, but the
> >> datatype for date itself would be part of Gnome. "GDate". As such Gnome provides
> >> a sort of common datatypes basis, which could be used by other frameworks as
> >> well (and maybe is?).
> > Maybe this can serve as an overview of where is everything:
> >
> > For generic GTK apps (not necessarily targeted at GNOME): https://www.gtk.org/docs/apis/
> >
> > For GTK apps that integrate well with GNOME: https://developer.gnome.org/documentation/introduction/components.html
> >
> > Also, for new projects, if you would like your app to adapt well to different screens, like modern web apps do, maybe take a look at libhandy (https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/libhandy/) and libadwaita (https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/libadwaita/doc/). The latter, if I understand correctly will replace the former.
> >
> > Also, note that Glade (https://glade.gnome.org/) only supports GTK 3, and there doesn't seem to be any plans to support GTK 4, so people seem to be writing GUIs by hand in GTK 4 projects.

Can you please not top post?

The posting to which you have replied has not appeared with me.  But it
(and the comments concerned) have nothing to do with gobject-introspection
or guile-gi.  "Understanding guile-gi" still appears as the notional title
of this thread so if you want to change the subject you might want also to
change the title to avoid complete confusion.