unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* display-backtrace
@ 2019-02-17  9:07 Vladimir Zhbanov
From: Vladimir Zhbanov @ 2019-02-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Is there a way to not limit backtrace output with current terminal
width setting? When I compile my project which uses autotools and
srfi-64 testing suite, it fails on `make distcheck' stage so I
cannot use REPL for debugging (well, I don't know if it's possible
in such a case). When looking at backtrace, it shows me lots of
parens and lots of ellipses so I don't see real (long) filenames
and procedure names and can only guess what's happening. I use
Emacs `compile' command to run `make'. Showing backtrace lines
without such limitations would be much more helpful.

TIA

--
  Vladimir

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-01 11:46 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-03-01 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:07:08PM +0300, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to not limit backtrace output with current terminal
> width setting? When I compile my project which uses autotools and
> srfi-64 testing suite, it fails on `make distcheck' stage so I
> cannot use REPL for debugging (well, I don't know if it's possible
> in such a case). When looking at backtrace, it shows me lots of
> parens and lots of ellipses so I don't see real (long) filenames
> and procedure names and can only guess what's happening. I use
> Emacs `compile' command to run `make'. Showing backtrace lines
> without such limitations would be much more helpful.

Vladimir,

One way to accomplish this is to set the COLUMNS environment variable
to a large number.  You might also try calling the terminal-width
procedure with the number of columns you want.  The terminal-width
procedure is in the (system repl debug) module.  Note that there is a
different terminal width in each thread of your program, so maybe
setting the COLUMNS environment variable would be easier.

But I haven't tried these methods, so I don't know what will happen,
exactly.

Good luck,

Mike Gran

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-02 15:20   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2019-03-02 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

Il giorno ven 1 mar 2019 alle ore 12:47 Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> ha
scritto:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:07:08PM +0300, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to not limit backtrace output with current terminal
> > width setting? When I compile my project which uses autotools and
> > srfi-64 testing suite, it fails on `make distcheck' stage so I
> > cannot use REPL for debugging (well, I don't know if it's possible
> > in such a case). When looking at backtrace, it shows me lots of
> > parens and lots of ellipses so I don't see real (long) filenames
> > and procedure names and can only guess what's happening. I use
> > Emacs `compile' command to run `make'. Showing backtrace lines
> > without such limitations would be much more helpful.
>
> Vladimir,
>
> One way to accomplish this is to set the COLUMNS environment variable
> to a large number.  You might also try calling the terminal-width
> procedure with the number of columns you want.  The terminal-width
> procedure is in the (system repl debug) module.  Note that there is a
> different terminal width in each thread of your program, so maybe
> setting the COLUMNS environment variable would be easier.
>
> But I haven't tried these methods, so I don't know what will happen,
> exactly.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike Gran

In the manual, I see there's this procedure:

debug-set! option-name value
     Modify the debug options.  ‘debug-enable’ should be used with
     boolean options and switches them on, ‘debug-disable’ switches them
     off.

and you can see the debug options with

debug-options

at the promtp

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-02 15:23     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2019-03-02 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

API reference -> Debugging -> Programmatic error handling

Would you mind to let me know if you succeed in making this thing work for
you ?

Thanks

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-02 16:03       ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-03-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guile User

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:23:34PM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> API reference -> Debugging -> Programmatic error handling
>
> Would you mind to let me know if you succeed in making this thing work for
> you ?
>
> Thanks

I tried (debug-set! width 1000), but, I still got a truncated
backtrace on Guile 2.2.4

(setenv "COLUMNS" "1000")

did work for me, however.

(use-modules (system repl debug))
(terminal-width 1000)

also worked for me.

If you ever need a two-line program to test backtrace width, you can
use

(define (func x)
  (/ 1 x))
(map func (reverse (iota 100)))

Hope this helps,
Mike Gran

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-02 17:36         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2019-03-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran, Vladimir Zhbanov; +Cc: Guile User

Il giorno sab 2 mar 2019 alle ore 17:03 Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> ha
scritto:

> On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:23:34PM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> > API reference -> Debugging -> Programmatic error handling
> >
> > Would you mind to let me know if you succeed in making this thing work
> for
> > you ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I tried (debug-set! width 1000), but, I still got a truncated
> backtrace on Guile 2.2.4
>
> (setenv "COLUMNS" "1000")
>
> did work for me, however.
>
> (use-modules (system repl debug))
> (terminal-width 1000)
>
> also worked for me.
>
> If you ever need a two-line program to test backtrace width, you can
> use
>
> (define (func x)
>   (/ 1 x))
> (map func (reverse (iota 100)))
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike Gran

thank you Mike

I meant to ask to inform me about the success of this attempt to Vladimir
Zhbanov, not to you, I just mis-operated the email GUI, here

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-03-03 14:31           ` Vladimir Zhbanov
From: Vladimir Zhbanov @ 2019-03-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Mike, Catonano,

Thank you, friends!

I have solved my issue before you answered, though I'm grateful to
you both. I am going to use the solution suggested by Mike and
approved by Catonano if/when I will have similar problems in
future. I think, the recipe by Mike would go to the Guile texinfo
manual and be helpful for many Guile users/devs. WDYT?

--
  Vladimir

(λ)επτόν EDA — https://github.com/lepton-eda

* Re: display-backtrace
@ 2019-04-21 10:15             ` Vladimir Zhbanov
From: Vladimir Zhbanov @ 2019-04-21 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Mike, Catonano,

Just want to thank you once again and answer your question of if
or how it works :-) I use the approach with setting "COLUMNS" in
terminal and Emacs very often now. It works great, thank you!