unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Directly compiling Scheme to WebAssembly: lambdas, recursion, iteration!
@ 2023-05-30 17:59 Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2023-05-30 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

The Hoot team (meaning really Andy Wingo and Robin Templeton) have been
hard at work bringing that dream to life.  We don't have full r7rs-small
scheme *yet* but... we're on our way! :)

Here's an update!

  https://spritely.institute/news/scheme-to-wasm-lambdas-recursion.html

And yes, there's real code!  It does require a development version of
Guile though... Guix makes this easy to run though, thankfully:

  https://gitlab.com/spritely/guile-hoot/

Well, "make check" is easy to run, I should say.  We're not at the point
where you can pick up and use this for your projects yet.  But that's
the goal obviously... and we're on our way!

Happy hacking!
 - Christine Lemmer-Webber, the Spritely Institute, and the Hoot team

* Re: Directly compiling Scheme to WebAssembly: lambdas, recursion, iteration!
@ 2023-05-31  6:14 ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski.fr
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski.fr @ 2023-05-31  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, Christine Lemmer-Webber

That's wonderful !

Thank you for the work !
Love you all

@ 2023-05-31  7:51 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2023-05-31  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Guile User

On 5/30/23 19:59, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
> The Hoot team (meaning really Andy Wingo and Robin Templeton) have been
> hard at work bringing that dream to life.  We don't have full r7rs-small
> scheme *yet* but... we're on our way! :)
>
> Here's an update!
>
>    https://spritely.institute/news/scheme-to-wasm-lambdas-recursion.html
>
> And yes, there's real code!  It does require a development version of
> Guile though... Guix makes this easy to run though, thankfully:
>
>    https://gitlab.com/spritely/guile-hoot/
>
> Well, "make check" is easy to run, I should say.  We're not at the point
> where you can pick up and use this for your projects yet.  But that's
> the goal obviously... and we're on our way!
>
> Happy hacking!
>   - Christine Lemmer-Webber, the Spritely Institute, and the Hoot team

Thank you people @ spritely and elsewhere for moving Guile ahead!

This one may be the one making me look into WASM at some point and thus being
yet another case, where Guile is my learning vehicle and means of exploration,
that it has been so often already. Maybe some day I will also know more stuff
about compilers and will be able to understand how to make such a thing :D

It seems to me many great things have been done recently.

Best wishes,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl