* Contributions to “Guile Studio”
@ 2019-10-21 15:20 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-10-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello Guilers,

some months ago I thought it would be neat if we had a simpler
environment for newcomers to play with Guile than to ask them to first
learn how to use Emacs.

This is what made me play around with Emacs to build something called
“Guile Studio”.  It aims to hide the weirdest parts of Emacs and
configure it out of the box for hacking on Guile with Geiser and the
picture language.

There’s very little to it at this point.

- It unclutters the “File” and “Help” menus (e.g. removing buffer
  printing, links to the Emacs manual, the psychiatrist, etc)

- adds more prominent links to the Guile info manual

- adds a tool bar to load and insert pictures into Geiser

- starts a Geiser session with the %load-path and %load-compiled-path
  set up to find the picture language module (pict).

- uses CUA mode by default (for Ctrl-X/C/V for cut/copy/paste).

- has completion and Guile syntax checking support

Guile Studio is not supposed to be yet another pre-configured Emacs; its
goal is just to provide a comfortable environment that works best for
playing with Guile.  I’d like to have less surprising window management,
but I don’t know of any clear, simple and obvious solution.  I just
don’t want windows to pop up and seemingly replace others, and I want
the management of how windows are arranged to be done manually and via
simple buttons.  Any ideas about how to achieve this?

What other things do you think could be helpful for new Guilers?

If you want to contribute please work with the code here:

    https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-studio.git

Please write to this list to discuss changes.

You can install Guile Studio with “guix install guile-studio”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Contributions to “Guile Studio”
@ 2019-10-22 17:05 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-10-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> some months ago I thought it would be neat if we had a simpler
> environment for newcomers to play with Guile than to ask them to first
> learn how to use Emacs.
>
> This is what made me play around with Emacs to build something called
> “Guile Studio”.  It aims to hide the weirdest parts of Emacs and
> configure it out of the box for hacking on Guile with Geiser and the
> picture language.

This sounds like a very useful thing to have, in an area where we are
currently (or were previously :) lacking.  Thank you for working on it!
I'm overloaded with other urgent tasks at the moment, but I will
certainly take a look at this at my earliest opportunity.

This is of particular interest to me because I have a dearly beloved
"honorary" nephew who will soon be of age to start learning how to
program, and I can see that more work needs to be done before Guile
could be a credible option for that purpose.  This work is a most
welcome contribution toward improving the situation.  We also need to
greatly improve our error messages, but that's another story :)

> Guile Studio is not supposed to be yet another pre-configured Emacs; its
> goal is just to provide a comfortable environment that works best for
> playing with Guile.  I’d like to have less surprising window management,
> but I don’t know of any clear, simple and obvious solution.  I just
> don’t want windows to pop up and seemingly replace others, and I want
> the management of how windows are arranged to be done manually and via
> simple buttons.  Any ideas about how to achieve this?

I wonder if the Emacs community would be a good place to ask.
What do you think?

   Thank you!
      Mark

* Re: Contributions to “Guile Studio”
@ 2019-10-28 18:09   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-10-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Mark,

I’m glad you consider this to be useful!

>> Guile Studio is not supposed to be yet another pre-configured Emacs; its
>> goal is just to provide a comfortable environment that works best for
>> playing with Guile.  I’d like to have less surprising window management,
>> but I don’t know of any clear, simple and obvious solution.  I just
>> don’t want windows to pop up and seemingly replace others, and I want
>> the management of how windows are arranged to be done manually and via
>> simple buttons.  Any ideas about how to achieve this?
>
> I wonder if the Emacs community would be a good place to ask.
> What do you think?

I should do that; it’s just that I’m not really sure of what exactly I
want here.  There are countless solutions (like setting windows to be
dedicated, for example), but each of them comes with potential
drawbacks.  I would need to know what “less surprising” really means to
me (and inexperienced users), so that I can evaluate the drawbacks and
constrain the set of solutions.

Perhaps the new tabs feature that is now available in the latest
unreleased version of Emacs might be of interest here.

--

@ 2019-10-30  4:04     ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2019-10-30  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Mark H Weaver, guile-devel

I just want to say thank you to all the contributors!
I'm trying to do some efforts to make Guile more friendly to newbies,
guile-studio seems a good thing to help them to get a start.

Best regards.

@ 2019-10-30  8:27     ` spectrumgomas
From: spectrumgomas @ 2019-10-30  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Mark H Weaver, Guile Devel