* About seq in Tree-IL
@ 2018-05-27 13:15 Tommi Höynälänmaa
From: Tommi Höynälänmaa @ 2018-05-27 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

I use Tree-IL as an intermediate language for my own programming
language Theme-D and the generated Tree-IL files contain a huge nested
seq expression. Could we allow multiple toplevel expressions in a
Tree-IL file or have the Tree-IL begin expression back?

      - Tommi Höynälänmaa

* Re: About seq in Tree-IL
@ 2018-05-29 21:53 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-05-29 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Höynälänmaa; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi,

Tommi Höynälänmaa <tommi.hoynalanmaa@gmail.com> writes:
> I use Tree-IL as an intermediate language for my own programming
> language Theme-D and the generated Tree-IL files contain a huge nested
> seq expression. Could we allow multiple toplevel expressions in a
> Tree-IL file or have the Tree-IL begin expression back?

Tree-IL is designed to simplify code that analyzes it, which means
making it as simple as possible.  Every redundancy in its representation
requires corresponding redundant code in _every_ instance of pattern
matching done on it, and there are a great many such instances in
module/language/tree-il/*.scm.

We could only justify such a redundancy if there were a *very*
compelling benefit.  What is the benefit?

     Regards,
       Mark