* Coexistence of different Guile versions
@ 2019-03-10 15:23 Tommi Höynälänmaa
From: Tommi Höynälänmaa @ 2019-03-10 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Guile (at least the Debian version) is designed so that different
versions (e.g. 2.0 and 2.2) can coexist in the same system. However,
this is not so for packages guile-xxx-dev. Consequently, many software
libraries (such as guile-gnome-platform) have to be compiled for a
single Guile version and they can't be used for several Guile versions
in the same system.

Could this be changed? For example, we could rename libguile.h to
libguile-<version>.h and do the same for Guile libraries.

      - Tommi Höynälänmaa

* Re: Coexistence of different Guile versions
@ 2019-03-10 15:34 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2019-03-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Höynälänmaa; +Cc: guile-devel

Tommi Höynälänmaa <tommi.hoynalanmaa@gmail.com> writes:

> Guile (at least the Debian version) is designed so that different
> versions (e.g. 2.0 and 2.2) can coexist in the same system. However,
> this is not so for packages guile-xxx-dev. Consequently, many software
> libraries (such as guile-gnome-platform) have to be compiled for a
> single Guile version and they can't be used for several Guile versions
> in the same system.
>
> Could this be changed? For example, we could rename libguile.h to
> libguile-<version>.h and do the same for Guile libraries.

I see this as a packaging issue.

In pkgsrc, one can install multiple guile versions, each with headers
(pkgsrc does not have the notion of -dev for headers; packages just have
headers).  It does this by using prefixes.  For example guile 2.2 is
built using the prefix /usr/pkg/guile/2.2 instead of the usual /usr/pkg.

I think it's far easier to build different versions in different
prefixes, letting depending packages add in that prefix, than to try to
rename every file that's installed to have a version in it.

The real issue though is that guile seems to not have a stable enough
API that there are lots of things out there that have to use old
versions.  Fixing that would be best :-)  but I realize that everything
has a good reason and that's easier said than done.

* Re: Coexistence of different Guile versions
@ 2019-03-10 15:50 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2019-03-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

On 3/10/19 8:23 AM, Tommi Höynälänmaa wrote:
> Guile (at least the Debian version) is designed so that different
> versions (e.g. 2.0 and 2.2) can coexist in the same system. However,
> this is not so for packages guile-xxx-dev. Consequently, many software
> libraries (such as guile-gnome-platform) have to be compiled for a
> single Guile version and they can't be used for several Guile versions
> in the same system.
>
> Could this be changed? For example, we could rename libguile.h to
> libguile-<version>.h and do the same for Guile libraries.
>
>      - Tommi Höynälänmaa

Shouldn't the solution be -I/usr/include/guile/2.2/libguile.h

mwette$ pkg-config --cflags --libs guile-2.2
-pthread -I/usr/include/guile/2.2 -lguile-2.2 -lgc

* Re: Coexistence of different Guile versions
@ 2019-03-11 18:28   ` Tommi Höynälänmaa
From: Tommi Höynälänmaa @ 2019-03-11 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-devel

I looked at the Debian packages guile-2.0-dev and guile-2.2-dev. It
might be sufficient to just add version suffixes to files
/usr/bin/guild, /usr/bin/guile-config, and /usr/bin/guile-snarf and then
using "update-alternatives --install" for these scripts.

      - Tommi Höynälänmaa