From: David Pirotte <david@altosw.be>
To: Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:46:53 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello Andy,

> Thoughts welcome!  Also: should these structured error objects be
> named exceptions or conditions?  SRFI-35, R6RS, and R7RS say
> "conditions", but racket and my heart say "exceptions"; wdyt?

I personally prefer "exceptions" over "conditions", though I did read
and understand Chris answer ...

Now, slightly of topic, but since/while  you are working on (ice-9
boot), exceptions ...  please allow me this gentle ping and invite you
to (re)read my answer to the following 'bug report' (1), which is a
'claim' in favor of, in 3.0, to have the repl, errors and backtraces
printers to truncate by default, then, to make things so that it would
be 'dead easy' to toggle those to full print 'on demand' ... up to one
could then bind the toggle proc(s) to an FN key ...

(1)	https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36677#23

To 'quote myself':

	Imo, no matter how easy it would be/is to change, the default
	should be to enable truncated printing for the repl, erros and
	backtraces, then indeed we should have 'dead easy' 'toggle'
	mechanism for those 'extremely rare' guilers/situations
	who/that requires/want (occasionally in my experience, I
	sometimes do to of course) full print ...

I was recently reading an email (or was it on irc, I don't remember)
fom Rekado, who wrote guile-studio, which is great news, and an attempt
make guile's newbie first experience(s) quite a lot more
friendly ...

With the above claim (and a 'dead easy' toggle mechanism ...), I would
feel quite a lot more 'relax' to (try to) recommend guile-cv ... and
together with guile-studio ... it then really can be said 'try it,
you'll even have fun ...'

David