all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help my chromebook backspace key destroy
@ 2021-10-17  4:01 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-10-17  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hellow

i  am using GNU Emacs 27.1 in Debian 11 Bullseye.
Hardware is Chromebook ARM64 MT8173. Codename Birch.

today my backspace key is gone away to death in physically.
so i have to prepare alternate key. after all i did choice that "F10" as
alternate key of backspace.

how can i tell emacs that ( i will use F10 key as backspace)

thansk in advance!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee from South Korea

* Solved (Was: Re: help my chromebook backspace key destroy)
@ 2021-10-17  4:13 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-10-17  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

황병희 <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> hellow
>
> i  am using GNU Emacs 27.1 in Debian 11 Bullseye.
> Hardware is Chromebook ARM64 MT8173. Codename Birch.
>
> today my backspace key is gone away to death in physically.
> so i have to prepare alternate key. after all i did choice that "F10" as
> alternate key of backspace.
>

> how can i tell emacs that ( i will use F10 key as backspace)

never mind please, i did resolved.
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BackspaceKey

Thanks Thanks Thanks ^^^

@ 2021-10-17  4:21 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-10-17  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 황병희; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Byung-Hee!
Try this:
(global-set-key (kbd "<f10>") 'delete-backward-char)

("Try" here means "go to the end of the line and type C-x C-e")
  [[]], Eduardo

@ 2021-10-17  4:38   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-10-17  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Byung-Hee!
> Try this:
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f10>") 'delete-backward-char)
>
> ("Try" here means "go to the end of the line and type C-x C-e")
>   [[]], Eduardo

In modes that map DEL to something different from delete-backward-char
(as Gnus and many other packages do) it wont work, as pressing F10 wont
be equivalent to pressing DEL.

I think keyboard-translate does the trick. The Emacs FAQ (accesible
through C-h C-f or from the Help menu) has a sub-node titled "Swapping
keys" under "Key bindings" that discusses this case, but right now I
can't figure out the syntax for function keys.

But the OP would be better served if he/she remaps the keys at a lower
level. A quick web search gives

https://ictsolved.github.io/remap-key-in-linux/

which addresses the specific case of remapping a broken DEL key under X
(apparently that key breaks often.)

* Re: help my chromebook backspace key destroy
@ 2021-10-17  6:02   ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-10-17  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Byung-Hee!
> Try this:
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f10>") 'delete-backward-char)
>
> ("Try" here means "go to the end of the line and type C-x C-e")
>   [[]], Eduardo

Thanks a lot, Eduardo ^^^

@ 2021-10-17  6:11     ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-10-17  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> [...]
> But the OP would be better served if he/she remaps the keys at a lower
> level. A quick web search gives
>
> https://ictsolved.github.io/remap-key-in-linux/
>
> which addresses the specific case of remapping a broken DEL key under X
> (apparently that key breaks often.)

Hellow Óscar!

I agree with your comments. Next time i will study it, thanks!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee