all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inserting string to start of mode-line via change in mode-line-format
@ 2022-11-27 21:41 Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-11-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Wanting to insert a string (act) in the beginning of the mode-line, mode-line-format was
modified as follows.  But I am not getting the string printed.  What am I doing wrong here?

    (setq-default mode-line-format
		  '("%e" mode-line-front-space
		    (:propertize
		     ("" mode-line-mule-info
		      mode-line-client
		      mode-line-modified
		      mode-line-remote)
		     display (min-width (5.0)))
		    mode-line-misc-info ;; <-- HERE
		    mode-line-frame-identification
		    mode-line-buffer-identification
		    " "
		    mode-line-position
		    (vc-mode vc-mode)
		    " "
		    mode-line-modes
		    mode-line-end-spaces))

    (push '("" act) global-mode-string)

* Re: Inserting string to start of mode-line via change in mode-line-format
@ 2022-11-28  1:36 ` Christopher Dimech
> Wanting to insert a string (act) in the beginning of the mode-line, mode-line-format was
> modified as follows.  But I am not getting the string printed.  What am I doing wrong here?
>
>     (setq-default mode-line-format
> 		  '("%e" mode-line-front-space
> 		    (:propertize
> 		     ("" mode-line-mule-info
> 		      mode-line-client
> 		      mode-line-modified
> 		      mode-line-remote)
> 		     display (min-width (5.0)))
> 		    mode-line-misc-info ;; <-- HERE
> 		    mode-line-frame-identification
> 		    mode-line-buffer-identification
> 		    " "
> 		    mode-line-position
> 		    (vc-mode vc-mode)
> 		    " "
> 		    mode-line-modes
> 		    mode-line-end-spaces))
>
>     (push '("" act) global-mode-string)

You got to use backquote and evaluate act using a comma.

@ 2022-11-28 21:01 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-28 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime wrote:

> Wanting to insert a string (act) in the beginning of the
> mode-line,

(setq-default mode-line-format '("initial string"))

?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Inserting string to start of mode-line via change in mode-line-format
@ 2022-11-28 22:21   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-11-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> > Wanting to insert a string (act) in the beginning of the
> > mode-line,
>

> (setq-default mode-line-format '("initial string"))
>
> ?

That would take care of any mode-line setup or changes for any package.