all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-17 12:35 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-17 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a table.  Ideally I would like
to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in changed to a different colour.

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-18  7:54 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-09-18  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa, uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I can think of using enriched mode for that, as if you want to remember those cookies across sessions, that is one way.

Other way of to use HTML tables. I just don't know if Emacs package that visually edits HTML.

Then I can think of local variables that could keep information how to highlight some pieces of text, during work. That will not make representation highlighted.

Maybe SES spreadsheet supports take colors.

On September 17, 2022 12:35:19 PM UTC, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

>Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a
>table.  Ideally I would like
>to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in
>changed to a different colour.

Jean

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-18 14:33   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> I can think of using enriched mode for that, as if you want to remember those cookies across sessions, that is one way.
>
> Other way of to use HTML tables. I just don't know if Emacs package that visually edits HTML.
>
> Then I can think of local variables that could keep information how to highlight some pieces of text, during work. That will not make representation highlighted.
>
> Maybe SES spreadsheet supports take colors.
>

> On September 17, 2022 12:35:19 PM UTC, uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me wrote:
>
> > Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a
> > table. Ideally I would like
> > to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in
> > changed to a different colour.

I did not realise it was not so straightforward.  As you rightly pointed out,
emacs has to keep track of the specific table and what colouring options were
applied by the user.

Perhaps we can think into some more depth about this, because such functionality
could have fantastic capability.

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-18 21:22     ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa
  Cc: Jean Louis, uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> > I can think of using enriched mode for that, as if you want to remember those cookies across sessions, that is one way.
> >
> > Other way of to use HTML tables. I just don't know if Emacs package that visually edits HTML.
> >
> > Then I can think of local variables that could keep information how to highlight some pieces of text, during work. That will not make representation highlighted.
> >
> > Maybe SES spreadsheet supports take colors.
> >
> > On September 17, 2022 12:35:19 PM UTC, uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me wrote:
> >
> > > Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a
> > > table. Ideally I would like
> > > to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in
> > > changed to a different colour.
>

> I did not realise it was not so straightforward. As you rightly pointed out,
> emacs has to keep track of the specific table and what colouring options were
> applied by the user.
>
> Perhaps we can think into some more depth about this, because such functionality
> could have fantastic capability.

Jean,

Have been thinking of some colour-map system I can include before the table, that
emacs can pick up.

For instance, setting five possible colours  with designations "a", "b", "c", "d", and "e"

Then for a table with 15 columns one can have the colour-map "r1-a-b-c-d-e-----", where "-"
is interpreter as no colour setting.  The "r1" would designate "row 1" in the table, etc.

Could this kind of thing work out?

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19  7:42     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-09-19  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> [2022-09-18 17:34]:

Find attached enriched mode text file, and open it with Emacs, you should see colors in the table.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

[-- Attachment #2: enriched.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 323 bytes --]

Text-Width: 70

+-----+-----+-----+
|<x-bg-color><param>blue</param>     </x-bg-color>|<x-bg-color><param>magenta</param>     </x-bg-color>|<x-bg-color><param>red</param>     </x-bg-color>|
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19  7:46       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-09-19  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> [2022-09-19 00:22]:
> Have been thinking of some colour-map system I can include before the table, that
> emacs can pick up.
>
> For instance, setting five possible colours  with designations "a", "b", "c", "d", and "e"
>
> Then for a table with 15 columns one can have the colour-map "r1-a-b-c-d-e-----", where "-"
> is interpreter as no colour setting.  The "r1" would designate "row 1" in the table, etc.
>
> Could this kind of thing work out?

Anything may work out when somebody programs it.

Emacs is mostly for text files. Enriched mode text contains text
properties. However, Emacs has also text properties built in. I do not
know if it may be saved in such way. I wish it could.

If you wish to present tables in colors you have options to generate
PDF files and HTML files, which can then hold table colors and other
text properties.

--

@ 2022-09-19  9:39         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-09-19  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> If you wish to present tables in colors you have options to
> generate PDF files and HTML files, which can then hold table
> colors and other text properties.

And that way maybe you get a useful file as well, even.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19 13:15       ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-19 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > > I can think of using enriched mode for that, as if you want to remember those cookies across sessions, that is one way.
> > >
> > > Other way of to use HTML tables. I just don't know if Emacs package that visually edits HTML.
> > >
> > > Then I can think of local variables that could keep information how to highlight some pieces of text, during work. That will not make representation highlighted.
> > >
> > > Maybe SES spreadsheet supports take colors.

> > I did not realise it was not so straightforward. As you rightly pointed out,
> > emacs has to keep track of the specific table and what colouring options were
> > applied by the user.
> >
> > Perhaps we can think into some more depth about this, because such functionality
> > could have fantastic capability.
>

> Find attached enriched mode text file, and open it with Emacs, you should see colors in the table.

The result is as I would like.  But how did you add the colours.  After disabling enriched-mode, I did
not see the text defining the colour.  Have also changed the major mode to latex-mode and org-mode,
and the colours are not displayed even though I am still in enriched-mode.

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19 15:29 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2022-09-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Sat, 17 Sept 2022 at 19:35, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a table.  Ideally I would like
> to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in changed to a different colour.

Why do you want to do this?

In general, coloring parts of a document in predefined colors is a bad
thing to want. Users with a different color theme than yours will have
trouble reading the document.

A better direction is to define a major mode for your class of
documents, a few faces, and fontification rules that find fragments
your users would want colored and apply those faces. The user will be
able to customize the faces to their liking.

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19 16:13   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-09-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan wrote:

>> Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell
>> within a table. Ideally I would like to have a keybinding
>> so that when I an in a cell its background in changed to
>> a different colour.
>
> Why do you want to do this?
>
> In general, coloring parts of a document in predefined
> colors is a bad thing to want. Users with a different color
> theme than yours will have trouble reading the document.
>
> A better direction is to define a major mode for your class
> of documents, a few faces, and fontification rules that find
> fragments your users would want colored and apply those
> faces. The user will be able to customize the faces to
> their liking.

The Emacs mode already has support for font lock
(AKA "syntax highlighting" outside the Emacs world) for the
desired document type. If a different or more tivoli than that
is desired, configure it or add new font lock rules with
`font-lock-add-keywords', e.g.

(font-lock-add-keywords 'emacs-lisp-mode
 '(
   ("`.*'"                                .  font-lock-reference-face)
   ("font-lock-builtin-face"              .  font-lock-builtin-face)
   ("font-lock-comment-delimiter-face"    .  font-lock-comment-delimiter-face)
   ("font-lock-comment-face"              .  font-lock-comment-face)
   ("font-lock-constant-face"             .  font-lock-constant-face)
   ("font-lock-doc-face"                  .  font-lock-doc-face)
   ("font-lock-function-name-face"        .  font-lock-function-name-face)
   ("font-lock-keyword-face"              .  font-lock-keyword-face)
   ("font-lock-negation-char-face"        .  font-lock-negation-char-face)
   ("font-lock-preprocessor-face"         .  font-lock-preprocessor-face)
   ("font-lock-reference-face"            .  font-lock-reference-face)
   ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash" . 'font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash)
   ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct" . 'font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct)
   ("font-lock-string-face"               .  font-lock-string-face)
   ("font-lock-type-face"                 .  font-lock-type-face)
   ("font-lock-variable-name-face"        .  font-lock-variable-name-face)
   ("font-lock-warning-face"              .  font-lock-warning-face)
   )
 t)

Those faces are then, much like the Donald Trump supporters
that stormed the Capitolium ...

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/dressed-up-as-themselves.png

--

@ 2022-09-19 16:33   ` Christopher Dimech
> > Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a table.  Ideally I would like
> > to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in changed to a different colour.
>
> Why do you want to do this?
>
> In general, coloring parts of a document in predefined colors is a bad
> thing to want. Users with a different color theme than yours will have
> trouble reading the document.
>
> A better direction is to define a major mode for your class of
> documents, a few faces, and fontification rules that find fragments
> your users would want colored and apply those faces. The user will be
> able to customize the faces to their liking.

I can see how your system can be much more powerful.  A fantastic approach
to implement and see other capabilities it might offer.  I was thinking
of a minor-mode that would work when a major mode is also active.  But perhaps
there are downsides that I cannot clearly see right now.  Have not done a major
mode yet, so this may be the right time to do it.

* Re: Colouring a cell within a table
@ 2022-09-19 16:51       ` Christopher Dimech
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-22 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell
> > > within a table. Ideally I would like to have a keybinding
> > > so that when I an in a cell its background in changed to
> > > a different colour.
> >
> > Why do you want to do this?
> >
> > In general, coloring parts of a document in predefined
> > colors is a bad thing to want. Users with a different color
> > theme than yours will have trouble reading the document.
> >
> > A better direction is to define a major mode for your class
> > of documents, a few faces, and fontification rules that find
> > fragments your users would want colored and apply those
> > faces. The user will be able to customize the faces to
> > their liking.
>

> The Emacs mode already has support for font lock
> (AKA "syntax highlighting" outside the Emacs world) for the
> desired document type. If a different or more tivoli than that
> is desired, configure it or add new font lock rules with
> `font-lock-add-keywords', e.g. (font-lock-add-keywords 'emacs-lisp-mode '( ("`.*'" . font-lock-reference-face)
> ("font-lock-builtin-face" . font-lock-builtin-face)
> ("font-lock-comment-delimiter-face" . font-lock-comment-delimiter-face)
> ("font-lock-comment-face" . font-lock-comment-face)
> ("font-lock-constant-face" . font-lock-constant-face)
> ("font-lock-doc-face" . font-lock-doc-face)
> ("font-lock-function-name-face" . font-lock-function-name-face)
> ("font-lock-keyword-face" . font-lock-keyword-face)
> ("font-lock-negation-char-face" . font-lock-negation-char-face)
> ("font-lock-preprocessor-face" . font-lock-preprocessor-face)
> ("font-lock-reference-face" . font-lock-reference-face)
> ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash" . 'font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash)
> ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct" . 'font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct)
> ("font-lock-string-face" . font-lock-string-face)
> ("font-lock-type-face" . font-lock-type-face)
> ("font-lock-variable-name-face" . font-lock-variable-name-face)
> ("font-lock-warning-face" . font-lock-warning-face)
> )
> t)
>
> Those faces are then, much like the Donald Trump supporters
> that stormed the Capitolium ...

How can make get a table cell to be coloured by defining faces?