all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 19:26 Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-17 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"D.8 Conventional Headers for Emacs Libraries" mentions that if the first line becomes too long, a "Local Variables Section"
at the end of the file should be made.

I would appreciate to see some examples on how to do this.

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 19:34 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-10-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 07:26:23PM +0000, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> "D.8 Conventional Headers for Emacs Libraries" mentions that if the first line becomes too long, a "Local Variables Section"
> at the end of the file should be made.
>
> I would appreciate to see some examples on how to do this.

The Emacs manual section about file variables:

  49.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables

has a couple of examples (at a first glance, I count four of
them).

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 19:52   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 07:26:23PM +0000, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > "D.8 Conventional Headers for Emacs Libraries" mentions that if the first line becomes too long, a "Local Variables Section"
> > at the end of the file should be made.
> >
> > I would appreciate to see some examples on how to do this.
>

> The Emacs manual section about file variables:
>
> 49.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables
>
> has a couple of examples (at a first glance, I count four of
> them).

Can one access this with

C-h i m elisp i

I do not like that no section numbers show up in info.

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 19:59     ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-17 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 07:26:23PM +0000, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> >
> > > "D.8 Conventional Headers for Emacs Libraries" mentions that if the first line becomes too long, a "Local Variables Section"
> > > at the end of the file should be made.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate to see some examples on how to do this.
> >
> > The Emacs manual section about file variables:
> >
> > 49.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables
> >
> > has a couple of examples (at a first glance, I count four of
> > them).

I can see only up to 42 on the website.  And cannot locate the section with "C-h i m elisp i".

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 20:44       ` Bruno Barbier
From: Bruno Barbier @ 2022-10-17 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime, tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

>> > The Emacs manual section about file variables:
>> >
>> > 49.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables
>> >
>> > has a couple of examples (at a first glance, I count four of
>> > them).
>
> I can see only up to 42 on the website.  And cannot locate the section
> with "C-h i m elisp i".

The *Emacs* manual, not the *Elisp* manual ?

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 21:42         ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-17 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Barbier; +Cc: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

> > I can see only up to 42 on the website. And cannot locate the section
> > with "C-h i m elisp i".
>

> The Emacs manual, not the Elisp manual ?

In the emacs manual I have "49.2 Package Statuses", then "49.3 Package Installation".
It is quite difficult to get to a specific section.  What is an optimal way to search
with "C-h i m elisp" using minibuffer?

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 22:39           ` Bruno Barbier
From: Bruno Barbier @ 2022-10-17 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> In the emacs manual I have "49.2 Package Statuses", then "49.3 Package Installation".
> It is quite difficult to get to a specific section.  What is an optimal way to search
> with "C-h i m elisp" using minibuffer?

To learn how to navigate an info manual, use the info manual; you may
open it like this:

  (info "info")  <= Type 'C-x C-e' here

To jump directly to the node in the Emacs manual, same:

  (info "(emacs)Specifying File Variables") <= Type 'C-x C-e' here

Bruno

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-17 23:05             ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-17 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Barbier; +Cc: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

> > In the emacs manual I have "49.2 Package Statuses", then "49.3 Package Installation".
> > It is quite difficult to get to a specific section. What is an optimal way to search
> > with "C-h i m elisp" using minibuffer?
>
> To learn how to navigate an info manual, use the info manual; you may
> open it like this:
>
> (info "info") <= Type 'C-x C-e' here
>
> To jump directly to the node in the Emacs manual, same:
>
> (info "(emacs)Specifying File Variables") <= Type 'C-x C-e' here
>

> Bruno

Fine.  This requires me to know the exact Title.  Can one search through the titles
for matches, giving me possibilities?

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-18  2:53           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-18  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Bruno Barbier, tomas, help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> In the emacs manual I have "49.2 Package Statuses", then "49.3 Package Installation".
> It is quite difficult to get to a specific section.  What is an optimal way to search
> with "C-h i m elisp" using minibuffer?

Hello, uzibalqa.

You have a different version of the manual from Tomas (or Bruno?), and
you want the Emacs user manual, not the Lisp reference manual.

Anywhere inside the Emacs manual, type "g Specifying File Variables
RET".  That will take you to (emacs)Specifying File Variables.

* Re: Local Variables Section at end of file
@ 2022-10-18  3:30             ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-18  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Bruno Barbier, tomas, help-gnu-emacs

> > In the emacs manual I have "49.2 Package Statuses", then "49.3 Package Installation".
> > It is quite difficult to get to a specific section. What is an optimal way to search
> > with "C-h i m elisp" using minibuffer?
>

> Hello, uzibalqa.
>
> You have a different version of the manual from Tomas (or Bruno?), and
> you want the Emacs user manual, not the Lisp reference manual.
>
> Anywhere inside the Emacs manual, type "g Specifying File Variables
> RET". That will take you to (emacs)Specifying File Variables.

Thank you so very much.  Great there is this goto node prompt.