all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Updating defcustom variables in elisp code
@ 2022-09-18 14:29 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Have used defcustom as follows

(defcustom px-frame-initpos (cons 8 8)
  "Position of initial frame."
  :type 'sexp
  :group 'px-frame)

Then inside some function, I want to reset the value of "px-frame-initpos".
Have been using

(custom-declare-variable 'px-frame-initpos (cons lft top) "DESC")

Perhaps using "custom-declare-variable" is not the appropriate thing to do, as it seems
that it is declaring the variable from scratch, needing also ":type" and ":group".

* Re: Updating defcustom variables in elisp code
@ 2022-09-19 10:02 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-09-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Do this:

{M-x customize-group RET savehist RET}

Find:

Hide Savehist Additional Variables:
Repeat:
[INS] [DEL] Variable: rcd-sample
[INS]
   [ State ]: SET for current session only.
   List of additional variables to save. Hide
   Each element is a variable that will be persisted across Emacs
   sessions that use Savehist.

   An element may be variable name (a symbol) or a cons cell of the form
   (VAR . MAX-SIZE), which means to truncate VAR’s value to at most
   MAX-SIZE elements (if the value is a list) before saving the value.

As that can save variables.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Updating defcustom variables in elisp code
@ 2022-09-19 19:14   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-19 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> [ State ]: SET for current session only.
> List of additional variables to save. Hide
> Each element is a variable that will be persisted across Emacs
> sessions that use Savehist.
>
> An element may be variable name (a symbol) or a cons cell of the form
> (VAR . MAX-SIZE), which means to truncate VAR’s value to at most
> MAX-SIZE elements (if the value is a list) before saving the value.
>
> As that can save variables.

I did that, but although the new values get updated, the defcustom in the file
used during init resets to the default values.

In my file I define

(defgroup tpframe nil
  "Set position of frame."
  :group 'convenience)

(defcustom frame-pos (cons 8 8)
  "Position of initial frame as (X . Y) ."
  :type 'sexp
  :group 'tpframe)