all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* outline-minor-mode: Did something change
@ 2024-01-08  2:39 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-08  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I had addedoutline-minor-mode to my eww setup and defined
outline-regexp in eww buffers to be:

"[•0-9]+ "
With point at the front of a line like so:

1 Congressional leaders reach a deal to fund the government, avert a shutdown

(looking-at outline-regexp) returns t.
However outline nav commands like outline-next-visible-heading fail,
they jump to the end of the buffer; turning on outline-mode gets those
working (but of course I dont want to lose eww-mode in eww-buffers:)

* Re: outline-minor-mode: Did something change
@ 2024-01-08  7:12 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-01-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I had added outline-minor-mode to my eww setup and defined
> outline-regexp in eww buffers to be:
>
> "[0-9]+ "
> With point at the front of a line like so:
>
> 1 Congressional leaders reach a deal to fund the government, avert a shutdown
>
> (looking-at outline-regexp) returns t.
> However outline nav commands like outline-next-visible-heading fail,
> they jump to the end of the buffer; turning on outline-mode gets those
> working (but of course I dont want to lose eww-mode in eww-buffers:)

I guess this is due to changes in eww and shr a month ago
where the commit d41a5e4b1ba added a new function shr-outline-search,
and the commit d0d9d7f5fa3 turned it on in eww-mode.

* Re: outline-minor-mode: Did something change
@ 2024-01-08 15:42   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

I did see that in the git logs -- but couldn't figure out why that
stops outline nav from working; do you know how I can get what I want
in the current setup?

@ 2024-01-08 16:56 ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-08 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Answering my own question after the previous message pointed out the
change in eww:

Adding
(setq outline-level 'outline-level outline-search-function nil)

Restored the behavior I lost
but I dont understand how that commit which adding the shr-specific
searcher broke it.

@ 2024-01-10  7:16   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-01-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Answering my own question after the previous message pointed out the
> change in eww:
>
> Adding
> (setq outline-level 'outline-level outline-search-function nil)
>
> Restored the behavior I lost
> but I dont understand how that commit which adding the shr-specific
> searcher broke it.

The new function shr-outline-search doesn't use outline-regexp.
It searches for the text property 'outline-level' that the function
'shr-heading' puts on HTML headers.  Then it makes outline headings
only on the lines with HTML headers.  This is a more reliable way
than using a regexp.

However, if you want to make outlines with a specific regexp
what you already did is the right way to do this.

* Re: outline-minor-mode: Did something change
@ 2024-01-10 15:26     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Thanks!

Using  headers is the right idea an the regexp is a hack, but sadly
the entire Web is a hack that forgot the meaning of structure a long,
long time ago!

@ 2024-01-10 18:09       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

Only think to add: could we have a half-way house solution that at least
for a while uses both ie outline-level and outline-regexp?

@ 2024-01-11  7:03         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-01-11  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> The new function shr-outline-search doesn't use outline-regexp.
>>> It searches for the text property 'outline-level' that the function
>>> 'shr-heading' puts on HTML headers.  Then it makes outline headings
>>> only on the lines with HTML headers.  This is a more reliable way
>>> than using a regexp.
>>>
>>> However, if you want to make outlines with a specific regexp
>>> what you already did is the right way to do this.
>>
>> Using headers is the right idea an the regexp is a hack, but sadly
>> the entire Web is a hack that forgot the meaning of structure a long,
>> long time ago!
>
> Only think to add: could we have a half-way house solution that at least
> for a while uses both ie outline-level and outline-regexp?

outline-regexp is too unreliable: in eww need not to mismatch HTML headers,
in emacs-lisp-mode not to match the open parenthesis in the docstring, etc.
For the same reason tree-sitter is preferable to regexp-based font-lock.

* Re: outline-minor-mode: Did something change
@ 2024-01-11 16:36           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-01-11 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

I' not disagreeing with you; what I was pointing out is that the HTML
Web rejected all notions of structured markup a long time ago, so hoping
that structure alone will give us something useful remains  a dream --
one  that I too dremt  a long time ago

@ 2024-01-12  7:29             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-01-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Only think to add: could we have a half-way house solution that at least
>>> for a while uses both ie outline-level and outline-regexp?
>>
>> outline-regexp is too unreliable: in eww need not to mismatch HTML headers,
>> in emacs-lisp-mode not to match the open parenthesis in the docstring, etc.
>> For the same reason tree-sitter is preferable to regexp-based font-lock.
>
> I' not disagreeing with you; what I was pointing out is that the HTML
> Web rejected all notions of structured markup a long time ago, so hoping
> that structure alone will give us something useful remains  a dream --
> one  that I too dremt  a long time ago

Alas, the idea of the Semantic Web has failed, so to get useful information
from a Web page the remaining way is to resort to Web scraping using regexps.