all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Spell checking package after ispell
@ 2023-07-26 23:13 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Ispell is one of the older spell-checking packages and was the default spell-checker
in Emacs before version 25.  Is there a better alternative these days, and how do I
use it?

* Re: Spell checking package after ispell
@ 2023-07-27  5:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-27  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 23:13:56 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
>

> Ispell is one of the older spell-checking packages and was the default spell-checker
> in Emacs before version 25.  Is there a better alternative these days

My recommendation is to use Hunspell.

> and how do I use it?

Just install it and make sure it's on PATH.  If you also have Ispell
on PATH, then either uninstall Ispell or customize the variable
ispell-program-name to name Hunspell as the spell-checking program.

* Re: Spell checking package after ispell
@ 2023-07-29 15:01 ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2023-07-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa, uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> Ispell is one of the older spell-checking packages and was the default
> spell-checker in Emacs before version 25.  Is there a better
> alternative these days, and how do I use it?

I have been using GNU Aspell for last couple
of years, and I must say that it works well.

That said, the default word-list used by
Aspell, which is SCOWL (Spell Checker
Oriented Word Lists), is not super-large,
which is why I have 1255 custom words in my
personal dictionary, as of today.

Rudy
--
"All you have to do is write one true sentence.  Write the truest sentence that
you know."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava