all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Let `package-install-selected-packages' install packages without asking for confirmation.
@ 2021-07-16 14:01 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-07-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use the following init file:

```
;https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/34180/how-can-i-script-emacs-to-install-packages-from-list
;https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10092322/how-to-automatically-install-emacs-packages-by-specifying-a-list-of-package-name
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)

(setq package-selected-packages
      '(company
        async))
(package-install-selected-packages)

(unless package-archive-contents
  (package-refresh-contents))
(package-install-selected-packages t)
```

But when I start Emacs, it still asks me to confirm the installation
of the packages. See the following info shown in minibuffer:

Packages to install: 2 (company async), proceed? (y or n)

As you can see, I've set the `(package-install-selected-packages t)'
option. So, how to let `package-install-selected-packages' install
packages without asking for confirmation.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Let `package-install-selected-packages' install packages without asking for confirmation.
@ 2021-07-16 14:22 ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> I use the following init file:
>
> ```
> ;https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/34180/how-can-i-script-emacs-to-install-packages-from-list
> ;https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10092322/how-to-automatically-install-emacs-packages-by-specifying-a-list-of-package-name
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
> (package-initialize)
>
> (setq package-selected-packages
>       '(company
>         async))
> (package-install-selected-packages)
>

> (unless package-archive-contents
>   (package-refresh-contents))
> (package-install-selected-packages t)
> ```
>
> But when I start Emacs, it still asks me to confirm the installation
> of the packages. See the following info shown in minibuffer:
>
> Packages to install: 2 (company async), proceed? (y or n)
>
> As you can see, I've set the `(package-install-selected-packages t)'
> option.

As I see, docs says that variable holds already installed packages, not
the packages you would like to install:

Documentation
Store here packages installed explicitly by user.

I am not sure either how is it ment to be used on another machine, with
noconfirm flag, anyway, you just use dolist and install your packages in
a loop:

(dolist (p '(company async))
  (unless (package-installed-p p)
    (package-install p)))

If you really have to save packages in a named list:

(setq packages-to-install '(company asynb))

(dolist (p packages-to-install)
  (unless (package-installed-p p)
    (package-install p)))

Hope it works for you.

* Re: Let `package-install-selected-packages' install packages without asking for confirmation.
@ 2021-07-16 14:41   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-07-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:22 PM Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I use the following init file:
> >
> > ```
> > ;https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/34180/how-can-i-script-emacs-to-install-packages-from-list
> > ;https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10092322/how-to-automatically-install-emacs-packages-by-specifying-a-list-of-package-name
> > (require 'package)
> > (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
> > (package-initialize)
> >
> > (setq package-selected-packages
> >       '(company
> >         async))
> > (package-install-selected-packages)

The above line is redundant. If I delete it, all will work just as I want.

> > (unless package-archive-contents
> >   (package-refresh-contents))
> > (package-install-selected-packages t)
> > ```
> >
> > But when I start Emacs, it still asks me to confirm the installation
> > of the packages. See the following info shown in minibuffer:
> >
> > Packages to install: 2 (company async), proceed? (y or n)
> >
> > As you can see, I've set the `(package-install-selected-packages t)'
> > option.
>
> As I see, docs says that variable holds already installed packages, not
> the packages you would like to install:
>
> Documentation
> Store here packages installed explicitly by user.
>
> I am not sure either how is it ment to be used on another machine, with
> noconfirm flag, anyway, you just use dolist and install your packages in
> a loop:
>
> (dolist (p '(company async))
>   (unless (package-installed-p p)
>     (package-install p)))
>
> If you really have to save packages in a named list:
>
> (setq packages-to-install '(company asynb))
>
> (dolist (p packages-to-install)
>   (unless (package-installed-p p)
>     (package-install p)))
>
> Hope it works for you.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. But as I've told, the method
posted here really works perfectly after my later revision, as
mentioned above.

@ 2021-07-26  0:08   ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2021-07-26  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller, Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On a related note, I use “(package-install 'X)” in my Emacs
configuration files which spits out “‘X’ is already installed” for
every package on launch. It is no big deal, but it would be great
if Emacs included “package-install-if-needed” or perhaps some
argument on “package-install” to stay quiet if no work is
necessary. Clearly, “(unless (package-installed-p X)
(package-install X))” is a common pattern.

R+

--
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be;
and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's