all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp and ftps
@ 2022-08-11 16:06 Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2022-08-11 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Is there any support for ftps via tramp?  Searching in tramp manual
gives nothing, and I wasn't able to find any third-party packages for
that.

From the command line, I use lftp, maybe someone has examples of
configuring ange-ftp to use it?

TIA
Filipp

* Re: tramp and ftps
@ 2022-08-12 11:37 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-08-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Filipp,

> Is there any support for ftps via tramp?  Searching in tramp manual
> gives nothing, and I wasn't able to find any third-party packages for
> that.

Tramp doesn't implement the ftp protocol itself, it forwards everything
to ange-ftp.

> From the command line, I use lftp, maybe someone has examples of
> configuring ange-ftp to use it?

Perhaps you start setting ange-ftp-ftp-program-name to "lftp", and
playing with ange-ftp-ftp-program-args. However, I don't know whether
this will work, see also the discussion at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-12/msg01006.html>.

If you get it running pls report, I'd add it to the manual then.

> TIA
> Filipp

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp and ftps
@ 2022-08-12 14:32   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2022-08-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/08/2022 13:37 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Perhaps you start setting ange-ftp-ftp-program-name to "lftp", and
> playing with ange-ftp-ftp-program-args. However, I don't know whether
> this will work, see also the discussion at
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-12/msg01006.html>.
>
> If you get it running pls report, I'd add it to the manual then.

Thank you, I'll return when get something.

* Re: tramp and ftps
@ 2022-08-26  2:16 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-08-26  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> [2022-08-11 19:08]:
> Is there any support for ftps via tramp?  Searching in tramp manual
> gives nothing, and I wasn't able to find any third-party packages for
> that.

Can scp with Tramp help?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: tramp and ftps
@ 2022-09-02  8:03   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-09-02  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > * Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> [2022-08-11 19:08]:
    >> Is there any support for ftps via tramp?  Searching in tramp
    >> manual gives nothing, and I wasn't able to find any third-party
    >> packages for that.

    > Can scp with Tramp help?

I thought ftp was delegated by Tramp to ange-ftp.el.

(customize-set-variable 'ange-ftp-netrc-filename
                        "/path/to/authinfo/file")

Is this no longer possible?

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: tramp and ftps
@ 2022-09-06 15:41     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2022-09-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 02/09/2022 09:03 +0100, Colin Baxter wrote:

>     > * Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> [2022-08-11 19:08]:
>     >> Is there any support for ftps via tramp?  Searching in tramp
>     >> manual gives nothing, and I wasn't able to find any third-party
>     >> packages for that.
>
>     > Can scp with Tramp help?
>
> I thought ftp was delegated by Tramp to ange-ftp.el.
>
> (customize-set-variable 'ange-ftp-netrc-filename
>                         "/path/to/authinfo/file")
>
> Is this no longer possible?

It's indeed possible, but how does it help with the discussed topic?

FWIW, I've almost finished adding support for lftp, and soon will post
the patch.  There's one bug left to fix.

Filipp