all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ELPA: New package nano-dialog
@ 2023-04-19  7:19 Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-04-19  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear all,

I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is a library
for creating native dialog popups. Those popups are child frames
where:

- header line is used to show the (optional) header
- mode line is used to show (optional) clickable buttons
- buttons can be highlighted with cursor (tooltips hack)
- dialog content is a regular buffer

Usage example:

(nano-dialog nil :title "Dialog title" :buttons '("OK" "CANCEL"))

The library is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-dialog
and the README displays what it looks like.

Best,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas P. Rougier —— www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier
Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Bordeaux

* Re: ELPA: New package nano-dialog
@ 2023-04-25  6:11 ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-04-25  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) [2023-04-19 at 09:19] wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is a library
> for
> creating native dialog popups. Those popups are child frames
> where:
>
> - header line is used to show the (optional) header
> - mode line is used to show (optional) clickable buttons
> - buttons can be highlighted with cursor (tooltips hack)
> - dialog content is a regular buffer
>
> Usage example:
>
> (nano-dialog nil :title "Dialog title" :buttons '("OK"
> "CANCEL"))
>
> The library is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-dialog
> and
> the README displays what it looks like.
>
> Best,
> Nicolas

Hi all,

Any comments on this package for inclusion in ELPA?

Nicolas

--

@ 2023-04-25 12:42   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-04-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) [2023-04-19 at 09:19] wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is a library for
>> creating native dialog popups. Those popups are child frames where:
>> - header line is used to show the (optional) header
>> - mode line is used to show (optional) clickable buttons
>> - buttons can be highlighted with cursor (tooltips hack)
>> - dialog content is a regular buffer
>> Usage example:
>> (nano-dialog nil :title "Dialog title" :buttons '("OK" "CANCEL"))
>> The library is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-dialog and
>> the README displays what it looks like.
>> Best,
>> Nicolas
>
> Hi all,
>
> Any comments on this package for inclusion in ELPA?

One nice thing would be if you could provide an .elpaignore file so that
the screenshot is not included in the tarball.

Your user options all lack types, that should be addressed.  You should
probably also run checkdoc and address those issues.

My general question (and the reason I did not respond to the issue the
first time I saw your message), is that I am not sure what this package
provides over built-in functionality like yes-or-no-p or
read-multiple-choice.  Is this a library for another package of yours?

@ 2023-04-25 12:59     ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-04-25 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Philip Kaludercic [2023-04-25 at 12:42] wrote:
> "Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:
>
> > Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) [2023-04-19 at 09:19] wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is a
> >> library for
> >> creating native dialog popups. Those popups are child frames
> >> where:
> >> - header line is used to show the (optional) header
> >> - mode line is used to show (optional) clickable buttons
> >> - buttons can be highlighted with cursor (tooltips hack)
> >> - dialog content is a regular buffer
> >> Usage example:
> >> (nano-dialog nil :title "Dialog title" :buttons '("OK"
> >> "CANCEL"))
> >> The library is hosted at
> >> https://github.com/rougier/nano-dialog and
> >> the README displays what it looks like.
> >> Best,
> >> Nicolas
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Any comments on this package for inclusion in ELPA?
>
> One nice thing would be if you could provide an .elpaignore file
> so that
> the screenshot is not included in the tarball.
>
> Your user options all lack types, that should be addressed.  You
> should
> probably also run checkdoc and address those issues.

Thanks, I'll correct that.

> My general question (and the reason I did not respond to the
> issue the
> first time I saw your message), is that I am not sure what this
> package
> provides over built-in functionality like yes-or-no-p or
> read-multiple-choice.  Is this a library for another package of
> yours?

It's actually redundant with minibuffer interaction but it also
offers more options. I'm mosly using it to display nano-agenda for
quick interaction without disturbing windows layout. There are
probably many more use. For example it could serve as a
replacement for system dialog

Nicolas

--

@ 2023-04-25 14:13       ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-04-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> It's actually redundant with minibuffer interaction but it also offers
> more options. I'm mosly using it to display nano-agenda for quick
> interaction without disturbing windows layout.

How would minibuffer interaction disturb the window layout?

>                                                There are probably many
> more use. For example it could serve as a replacement for system
> dialog

Does it work on on the TUI?

* Re: ELPA: New package nano-dialog
@ 2023-04-25 15:20         ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-04-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Philip Kaludercic [2023-04-25 at 14:13] wrote:
> "Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:
>
> > It's actually redundant with minibuffer interaction but it
> > also offers
> > more options. I'm mosly using it to display nano-agenda for
> > quick
> > interaction without disturbing windows layout.
>
> How would minibuffer interaction disturb the window layout?

Not necessarily the minibuffer, but for example org-capture. I
personally prefer to have a small dedicated popup. It could also
be used for important notifications that are would be more salient
than a mere message.

> >                                                There are
> >                                                probably many
> > more use. For example it could serve as a replacement for
> > system
> > dialog
>
> Does it work on on the TUI?

Yes. Not as pretty but it works.