all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [elpa] externals/ebdb 9cc960409f 2/4: Remove 'affix slot from record names
       [not found] ` <20230913223435.15422C04DB6@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2023-09-13 22:39   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2023-09-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> -(require 'cl-lib)
> +(require 'cl-macs)

Please don't.  The division of work between these different libraries
should be arbitrary and subject to change, with `cl-lib` the only
official entry-point.

Was this change required for a technical reason (i.e. a problem we
should fix on `cl-lib`s side)?

* Re: [elpa] externals/ebdb 9cc960409f 2/4: Remove 'affix slot from record names
@ 2023-09-14  3:22     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-09-14  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> -(require 'cl-lib)
>> +(require 'cl-macs)
>
> Please don't.  The division of work between these different libraries
> should be arbitrary and subject to change, with `cl-lib` the only
> official entry-point.
>
> Was this change required for a technical reason (i.e. a problem we
> should fix on `cl-lib`s side)?

It wasn't anything very complicated, I wanted to remove a plist pair,
cl-remf looked like it would do it, and cl-remf lives in cl-macs. Are we
supposed to be avoiding cl-macs? Obviously there are other ways to
remove a pair from a plist, too...

* Re: [elpa] externals/ebdb 9cc960409f 2/4: Remove 'affix slot from record names
@ 2023-09-14  4:39       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2023-09-14  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> -(require 'cl-lib)
>>> +(require 'cl-macs)
>>
>> Please don't.  The division of work between these different libraries
>> should be arbitrary and subject to change, with `cl-lib` the only
>> official entry-point.
>>
>> Was this change required for a technical reason (i.e. a problem we
>> should fix on `cl-lib`s side)?
>
> It wasn't anything very complicated, I wanted to remove a plist pair,
> cl-remf looked like it would do it, and cl-remf lives in cl-macs.

It's an internal detail of the CL library: while it currently lives in
`cl-macs`, you get access to it via (require 'cl-lib).

* Re: [elpa] externals/ebdb 9cc960409f 2/4: Remove 'affix slot from record names
@ 2023-09-14 15:28         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-09-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Please don't.  The division of work between these different libraries
>>> should be arbitrary and subject to change, with `cl-lib` the only
>>> official entry-point.
>>>
>>> Was this change required for a technical reason (i.e. a problem we
>>> should fix on `cl-lib`s side)?
>>
>> It wasn't anything very complicated, I wanted to remove a plist pair,
>> cl-remf looked like it would do it, and cl-remf lives in cl-macs.
>
> It's an internal detail of the CL library: while it currently lives in
> `cl-macs`, you get access to it via (require 'cl-lib).

Got it, will revert. Thanks for the heads up.