all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recreating the initial terminal frame
@ 2023-02-05 14:31 Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2023-02-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I start emacs with --fg-daemon or --daemon, and then sometimes when I do
a M-x (desktop-read "desktop-directory"), the initial terminal frame
"F2" gets Destoyed. Conseuquently I cannot run emacs in "daemon mode"
One gets the "Attempt to delete the sole visible or iconified frame"
error when trying to close the last frame.

Is there some way to construct the frame again?

(I'm trying make-terminal-frame and various incanations I tried cobbling
up make-frame froms from server.el but nothing seems to work.)

* Re: recreating the initial terminal frame
@ 2023-02-05 19:03 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-02-05 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I start emacs with --fg-daemon or --daemon, and then sometimes when I do
> a M-x (desktop-read "desktop-directory"), the initial terminal frame
> "F2" gets Destoyed.

Sounds like a bug.

> Conseuquently I cannot run emacs in "daemon mode"
> One gets the "Attempt to delete the sole visible or iconified frame"
> error when trying to close the last frame.
>
> Is there some way to construct the frame again?

I don't think so.  IIRC when the frame is deleted the corresponding file
descriptors are closed :-(

You can circumvent the "Attempt to delete the sole visible or iconified
frame" error by creating a dummy frame on some other terminal, of
course, but it won't be quite like the initial terminal frame.