all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Xmodmap struggles
@ 2011-01-28  7:18 rusi
       [not found] ` <mailman.2.1296254991.4299.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rusi @ 2011-01-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Trying to change Alt key behavior
On a friends machine
$ xmodmap .Xmodmap

works but on mine I get

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
  Value in failed request:  0x17
  Serial number of failed request:  15

The .Xmodmap is

clear mod1
keycode 0x70 = Alt_R
keycode 0x40 = Super_R
add mod1 = Super_R
add mod3 = Alt_R

(His ubuntu mine debian)

Context:
Trying to get apl running in xemacs

* Re: Xmodmap struggles
@ 2011-01-28 22:49 ` Tyler Smith
       [not found] ` <mailman.2.1296254991.4299.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tyler Smith @ 2011-01-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to change Alt key behavior
> On a friends machine
> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
>
> works but on mine I get
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
>   Value in failed request:  0x17
>   Serial number of failed request:  15

Try running xev on your machine. I suspect the keycodes are different on
the two machines, and you're using the wrong ones for your keyboard.

Tyler

* Re: Xmodmap struggles
@ 2011-01-28 23:17 darthemacs
From: darthemacs @ 2011-01-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try the sawfish window manager. It's extensible and written in cl and is emacs buddy. Great keyboard control.

@ 2011-01-29  3:13   ` despen
From: despen @ 2011-01-29  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:

> rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Trying to change Alt key behavior
>> On a friends machine
>> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
>>
>> works but on mine I get
>>
>> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
>> for operation)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
>>   Value in failed request:  0x17
>>   Serial number of failed request:  15
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  15
>
> Try running xev on your machine. I suspect the keycodes are different on
> the two machines, and you're using the wrong ones for your keyboard.

Yep, been there done that, etc.

xmodmap -pm
xmodmap -pk
and
xev

are the main tools used to conquer keymap issues.
Grep along with xmodmap helps too.

In the OPs case, he had a clear for one modifier and
not the other.  One of the things to investigate.

Of course, this is not a gnu emacs issue so sorry
about that...