all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fastest way for users to change between functionalities
@ 2022-06-11  6:34 goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-06-11  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

What would be the fastest way for users to change between several modes of functionalities?

Minibuffer selections? Function calling with keybinding can be difficult because one needs keys to bind them to. When one has many packages enabled, it is difficult to find what good keybinding to use.

* Re: Fastest way for users to change between functionalities
@ 2022-06-16 14:13 ` kf
From: kf @ 2022-06-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden,
	goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On 6/11/22 2:34 AM, goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor wrote:
> What would be the fastest way for users to change between several modes of functionalities?
>
> Minibuffer selections? Function calling with keybinding can be difficult because one needs keys to bind them to. When one has many packages enabled, it is difficult to find what good keybinding to use.

It can be difficult to determine a keybinding which thereafter will be
intuitive.  I imagine being in the situation to use it and think about
where my fingers want to go.  I also think of similarities to similar
functionalities.

Once having thought of candidates, I use C-h k <candidate keybinding> to
find if that keybinding is already defined (is already being used by
some other functionality).  If it's not already defined, then it can be
used.

It's a bit more work, but I also add the keybinding to a menu so that
(1) a mouseclick can invoke that funcitonality, and (2) I can easily
find what the keybinding is later when I've forgotten it.  :)

hth