all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 68663@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#68663: Unsaved buffers dialog is unhelpful
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:21:31 +0300	[thread overview]

In terms of detailed change proposals, my experience tells me that it's
usually best to test the waters first, see whether there are things that
I haven't considered initially(there were) and what are the acceptable
options, both technically and culturally.

> I didn't check, but it sounds like this might point to a real problem.
> Could you please describe in more detail the workflow that you have in
> mind?  What is the exact situation when you see the problem, and why?
In this use case we're talking about a very new user. Lets say this is
your first time(day) of using Emacs. You don't know about M-x
save-some-buffers, you're not going to quit with C-x C-c, you don't know
about C-x C-b, you don't know what the * on the modeline is, you don't
even know what a modeline is. But before 29 you could still quit Emacs
and have a decent level of protection from making any unwanted edits. I
think it's pretty natural for users to often restart any less than
familiar application when they're thinking that they're doing something
harmful.

So that's two of the use cases. I've also re-read the previous
discussions on this topic, to try and present the main use case that is
benefited by the previous change.

I think the only people who are ONLY doing save all or save none are the
people who are working on projects with limited scopes in a very
controlled environment - e.g. the user is usually only making edits
within a single VC repository(project) and thus every time he quits he
does not particularly care about the unsaved buffers either way, because
were the changes in them valuable in any way he'd already have committed
them. For this use case any extra notification is just an annoyance for
the user. Maybe to further accommodate such users, there should be an
easy option to disable any unsaved buffers dialog outright.

Now that we have the use case established, lets also honestly question
what was so bad about the previous behavior, when we're only looking to
accommodate this single use case? The same 2 buttons were available
before, just as they are available now. It was just that there were
other visually(logically and mentally) distracting other options. Which
to me does not seem like a problem worthy of sacrificing the other use
cases to, but obviously YMMV.

Also I think something should be said about this being an instant versus
vs an incremental operation. Where stuff like a combined diff as
suggested by Dmitry or the act-able modified buffer list as originally
suggested by the reporter in #4980 would have some tangible advantages
in convenience, especially the more straightforward your usage is.

The act-able buffer list seems like a perfect solution here
convenience-wise, but the way I understand it, it's not feasible
technically.

As for taking inspiration from other editors, I just had a quick look at
5 other editors\IDEs I had on hand and basically all the IDEs present
very much the same act-able buffer list.

The smaller editors generally prefer to avoid asking user anything,
avoid saving anything and then just restoring the changes on restart.
Which is another perfectly fine solution that's a no-go for us here.
Though it may be worth considering as an eventual option, because it
seems like a perfect fit for the limited scope editing use-case
described above.