all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-04 14:56 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-10-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I get an error that I suspect occurred after I upgraded my Linux
system to testing. The version of emacs I'm now running is 1:28.1+1-3

When I start emacs this error message is displayed:

  Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
  for /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc Disable showing Disable logging

In my .emacs there is:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/")
   (load-library "ibus.elc")

And the ~/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc file does exist

I don't know where emacs log file is located and so cannot elaborate
the message.

What is eln? Fedora Enterprise Linux Next? If so, I don't want it. If
I click "Disable showing" in the warning message will it disable all
warnings or just this one?

--

     Haines Brown
 /"\

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-04 16:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:56:46 -0400
> From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
>
> I get an error that I suspect occurred after I upgraded my Linux
> system to testing. The version of emacs I'm now running is 1:28.1+1-3
>
> When I start emacs this error message is displayed:
>
>   Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
>   for /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc Disable showing Disable logging
>
> In my .emacs there is:
>
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/")
>    (load-library "ibus.elc")
>
> And the ~/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc file does exist

Re-read the warning message: it complains about the "source file",
which is ibus.el, not ibus.elc.  Do you have that file, and if so, is
it on load-path?

> What is eln? Fedora Enterprise Linux Next?

The *.eln files are *.el files compiled to native (a.k.a. "machine")
code.  They make Emacs work faster.

> If so, I don't want it. If I click "Disable showing" in the warning
> message will it disable all warnings or just this one?

Only the warnings of this kind, i.e. those that come from the attempt
to find the *.el files in order to verify the *.eln files before they
are loaded into Emacs.

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-04 16:41 ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haines Brown; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

> I get an error that I suspect occurred after I upgraded my Linux
> system to testing. The version of emacs I'm now running is 1:28.1+1-3
>
> When I start emacs this error message is displayed:
>
>   Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
>   for /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc Disable showing Disable logging
>
> In my .emacs there is:
>
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/")
>    (load-library "ibus.elc")
>
> And the ~/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc file does exist
>
> I don't know where emacs log file is located and so cannot elaborate
> the message.
>
> What is eln? Fedora Enterprise Linux Next? If so, I don't want it. If
> I click "Disable showing" in the warning message will it disable all
> warnings or just this one?

"eln" is native-compiled Emacs Lisp.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-04 22:37 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-04 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When I start emacs this error message is displayed:
>
>   Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
>   for /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc Disable showing Disable logging

If you read the message, you'll see that it is *not* an error message.
It's a warning.

Just move along (or go find the `ibus.el` source file that corresponds
to this `ibus.elc`).

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-05  9:40   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-10-05  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2022 at 18:37, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> Just move along (or go find the `ibus.el` source file that corresponds
> to this `ibus.elc`).

The solution for the OP may be to install the emacs-el Debian package.
My understanding is that installing Emacs via Debian packages (I build
Emacs myself) does not include the .el files by default.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-09-29) on Debian 11.4

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-05 10:04     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-05 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 10:40:56 +0100
>
> On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2022 at 18:37, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> > Just move along (or go find the `ibus.el` source file that corresponds
> > to this `ibus.elc`).
>
> The solution for the OP may be to install the emacs-el Debian package.
> My understanding is that installing Emacs via Debian packages (I build
> Emacs myself) does not include the .el files by default.

If this is true for Emacs 28 and later with native-compilation
enabled, then it's a mistake on the part of the Debian packagers, and
should be reported to them.  When Emacs 28 and later wants to load a
.eln file, it must have access to the corresponding .el file (or its
.el.gz file, if Emacs was built with zlib support).  Otherwise, the
*.eln files will not be loaded.

* Re: Cannot look-up eln
@ 2022-10-05 12:13     ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-05 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric S Fraga [2022-10-05 10:40:56] wrote:
> On Tuesday,  4 Oct 2022 at 18:37, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>> Just move along (or go find the `ibus.el` source file that corresponds
>> to this `ibus.elc`).
> The solution for the OP may be to install the emacs-el Debian package.
> My understanding is that installing Emacs via Debian packages (I build
> Emacs myself) does not include the .el files by default.

The error message was about `/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc`
which AFAIK is not a file installed by Debian's package manager.