all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-03  8:11 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-03-03  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I have this particular situation below, where I would like to avoid
position (1) and rather get automatically into the position (2), where
text after ❰    ❱ shall be automatically aligned in the second line to
the begin of first word in the first line.

Position 1:

❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
rights to Ministry of Education.

Position 2:

❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
       rights to Ministry of Education.

I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-03 18:18 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-03 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> I have this particular situation below, where I would like
> to avoid position (1) and rather get automatically into the
> position (2), where text after ❰    ❱ shall be automatically
> aligned in the second line to the begin of first word in the
> first line.
>
> Position 1:
>
> ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
> rights to Ministry of Education.
>
> Position 2:
>
> ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
>        rights to Ministry of Education.
>
> I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though
> is there any way in Emacs to automatically invoke
> such alignment?

If you align the second row manually rows after that are
aligned with `fill-paragraph'.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-08  8:34 ` Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

--
Best regards,
Kevin Vigouroux

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-08  8:40 ` Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-08  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Jean Louis

Oops! I sent the previous message by mistake.

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

Would Auto Fill mode be suitable?
--
Best regards,
Kevin Vigouroux

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-08 21:24   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-03-08 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Kevin Vigouroux <ke.vigouroux@laposte.net> [2022-03-08 11:41]:
> Oops! I sent the previous message by mistake.
>
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> > any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?
>
> Would Auto Fill mode be suitable?

Thanks, I do use auto-fill-mode and I see I have to keep pushing TAB
in second line until it starts aligning itself automatically.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-03-08 22:01 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

What major mode are you using?

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-03-09  1:41   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-03-09  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-03-09 01:08]:
> > I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> > any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?
>
> What major mode are you using?

Just fundamental I guess.

--

@ 2022-03-09  3:14     ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-09  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis [2022-03-09 04:41:16] wrote:
> * Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-03-09 01:08]:
>> > I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
>> > any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?
>> What major mode are you using?
> Just fundamental I guess.

Then try something like `text-mode`, maybe try playing with
`paragraph-indent-minor-mode`, or `adaptive-fill-mode`.
You may also want to check the various `adaptive-fill-prefix` variables.
Oh, and GNU ELPA has `filladapt-mode` which could also be a way to
a solution.

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-05 21:32 ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-04-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2022-03-03 03:11, Jean Louis wrote:
> I have this particular situation below, where I would like to avoid
> position (1) and rather get automatically into the position (2), where
> text after ❰    ❱ shall be automatically aligned in the second line to
> the begin of first word in the first line.
>
> Position 1:
>
> ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
> rights to Ministry of Education.
>

> Position 2:
>
> ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
>        rights to Ministry of Education.
>
> I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

It looks to me like you want a list of check boxes?  If so, Org Mode
will do this, and along with ~adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode~, will also soft
wrap the left side automatically.

Which reminds me, you did not specify if you wanted a 'hard' (inserting
actual spaces/tabs) or 'soft' (display only) wrapping.  Most of other
solutions mentioned will give you the former.  But maybe that's what you
want?

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
@ 2022-06-15  6:20   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-06-15  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> [2022-04-06 00:33]:
> On 2022-03-03 03:11, Jean Louis wrote:
> > I have this particular situation below, where I would like to avoid
> > position (1) and rather get automatically into the position (2), where
> > text after ❰    ❱ shall be automatically aligned in the second line to
> > the begin of first word in the first line.
> >
> > Position 1:
> >
> > ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
> > rights to Ministry of Education.
> >

> > Position 2:
> >
> > ❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
> >        rights to Ministry of Education.
> >
> > I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
> > any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?
> >

> It looks to me like you want a list of check boxes?  If so, Org Mode will do
> this, and along with ~adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode~, will also soft wrap the
> left side automatically.
>
> Which reminds me, you did not specify if you wanted a 'hard' (inserting
> actual spaces/tabs) or 'soft' (display only) wrapping.  Most of other
> solutions mentioned will give you the former.  But maybe that's what you
> want?

I still did not find specific solution for this.

I would like spaces in new lines to align to first word after ❰    ❱

What I need is similar to following condition:

       Somewhat indented text RET
       in the next line follows
       aligned to the first word

❰    ❱ Then in this line I would like that ❰    ❱
       is ignored so that next line get aligned
       to the first word in this paragraph "Then".