all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scanning parenthesis in string/comment
@ 2023-01-22 17:15 Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2023-01-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I’m writing an expand-region-like function, which expands region by logical entities, like word-at-point, list-at-point, etc. Say I have this string

"Filter out invalid regions in REGIONS regarding ORIG.
ORIG is the current position. Each region is (BEG . END).”

And point is at the opening parenthesis, how do I detect this balanced parenthesis pair and expand the region over it? syntax-pass and forward-list only works with lists outside of strings and comments, IIUC.

Yuan

* Re: Scanning parenthesis in string/comment
@ 2023-01-23  1:49 ` Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-01-23  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> I’m writing an expand-region-like function, which expands region by logical entities, like word-at-point, list-at-point, etc. Say I have this string
>
> "Filter out invalid regions in REGIONS regarding ORIG.
> ORIG is the current position. Each region is (BEG . END).”
>
> And point is at the opening parenthesis, how do I detect this balanced
> parenthesis pair and expand the region over it? syntax-pass and forward-list
> only works with lists outside of strings and comments, IIUC.
>
> Yuan

Based on what I remember reading from the relevant info pages and
docstrings, is it possible that you start a new syntax scan that starts
*at point* and ends *before the ending quotes*?  IIUC the function
`parse-partial-sexp' might be what you should look into next.

Best,

RY

* Re: Scanning parenthesis in string/comment
@ 2023-01-23  8:10 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-01-23  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> [2023-01-22 20:17]:
> I’m writing an expand-region-like function, which expands region by logical entities, like word-at-point, list-at-point, etc. Say I have this string
>
> "Filter out invalid regions in REGIONS regarding ORIG.
> ORIG is the current position. Each region is (BEG . END).”
>
> And point is at the opening parenthesis, how do I detect this
> balanced parenthesis pair and expand the region over it? syntax-pass
> and forward-list only works with lists outside of strings and
> comments, IIUC.

What I understand is that you use thing-at-point similar functions, so
why not then define your own think at point in the sense as here below:

;;; Thing at point 'thing-within-quotes

(defun rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-start ()
    "Move point to the beginning of thing within quotes."
  (re-search-backward (rx (or "\"" "'")))
  (forward-char 1))

(defun rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-end ()
    "Move point to the end of thing within quotes."
  (re-search-forward (rx (or "\"" "'")))
  (backward-char 1))

(put 'thing-within-quotes 'beginning-op 'rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-start)
(put 'thing-within-quotes 'end-op 'rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-end)

Then the above will give you whatever is inside of quotes you define
when you apply function:

(thing-at-point 'thing-within-quotes)

on it, and it will not work well outside of quotes.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Scanning parenthesis in string/comment
@ 2023-01-23 19:24   ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2023-01-23 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Jan 22, 2023, at 5:49 PM, Ruijie Yu <ruijie@netyu.xyz> wrote:
>

> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I’m writing an expand-region-like function, which expands region by logical entities, like word-at-point, list-at-point, etc. Say I have this string
>>
>> "Filter out invalid regions in REGIONS regarding ORIG.
>> ORIG is the current position. Each region is (BEG . END).”
>>
>> And point is at the opening parenthesis, how do I detect this balanced
>> parenthesis pair and expand the region over it? syntax-pass and forward-list
>> only works with lists outside of strings and comments, IIUC.
>>
>> Yuan
>
> Based on what I remember reading from the relevant info pages and
> docstrings, is it possible that you start a new syntax scan that starts
> *at point* and ends *before the ending quotes*?  IIUC the function
> `parse-partial-sexp' might be what you should look into next.

Thanks, that seems to be the way to go.

> What I understand is that you use thing-at-point similar functions, so
> why not then define your own think at point in the sense as here below:
>
> ;;; Thing at point 'thing-within-quotes
>
> (defun rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-start ()
>    "Move point to the beginning of thing within quotes."
>  (re-search-backward (rx (or "\"" "'")))
>  (forward-char 1))
>
> (defun rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-end ()
>    "Move point to the end of thing within quotes."
>  (re-search-forward (rx (or "\"" "'")))
>  (backward-char 1))
>
> (put 'thing-within-quotes 'beginning-op 'rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-start)
> (put 'thing-within-quotes 'end-op 'rcd-tap-thing-within-quotes-end)
>
> Then the above will give you whatever is inside of quotes you define
> when you apply function:
>
> (thing-at-point 'thing-within-quotes)
>
> on it, and it will not work well outside of quotes.

Yeah I can find the range of the string and do a parse inside. Thanks!

Yuan