all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* yes-or-no-p and dialogs
@ 2022-12-27 16:06 Petteri Hintsanen
From: Petteri Hintsanen @ 2022-12-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list,

Is there any way to "quit" yes-or-no-p queries with MS Windows dialogs?
I mean in the same way C-g would do in the minibuffer?

Case in point: I am visiting an Org file with an active (running) clock.
The file has no unsaved changes.

Then I try to close (kill) Emacs by clicking on the "X" button on the
upper right corner of the frame.

A dialog pops up, asking whether I'd like to clock out and save.  This
dialog has "Yes" or "No" buttons, but no way to cancel, as far as I can
see.

Now occasionally I'd like to interrupt Emacs quitting, and go back to my
file to adjust the clock and whatnot, but with that (modal) dialog it
seems to be impossible -- Emacs will unconditionally quit.  Should the
dialog have "Cancel" or "X" or something?  I could set use-dialog-box to
nil, but occasionally dialogs are useful.

This is Emacs 28.2 on MS Windows 10.

Thanks,
Petteri