all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scrolling terminal output in Emacs
@ 2023-02-13 14:33 Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2023-02-13 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times I'm just not sure how to pinpoint
the description so I'm not finding the answer.

I just downloaded and set myself up for using Ubuntu on Windows.  I've
gotten my Emacs/Cygwin workspace on windows mimic'd on Ubuntu with
Cygwin.

But, when I kick off some commands, such as "git diff XXX" the output
gives me a page and then the ":".  Is there a way to tell my environment
I never want pagination?  I want it all to come to the "console".  Of
course I want that because I can scroll the output with Emacs.

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs
@ 2023-02-13 14:41 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-02-13 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 09:33:18AM -0500, Galen Boyer wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked 100 times I'm just not sure how to pinpoint
> the description so I'm not finding the answer.
>
> I just downloaded and set myself up for using Ubuntu on Windows.  I've
> gotten my Emacs/Cygwin workspace on windows mimic'd on Ubuntu with
> Cygwin.
>
> But, when I kick off some commands, such as "git diff XXX" the output
> gives me a page and then the ":".  Is there a way to tell my environment
> I never want pagination?  I want it all to come to the "console".  Of
> course I want that because I can scroll the output with Emacs.

By default, git sends its output trough a pager (when it thinks there is
a terminal at the other end). You can change that by invoking commands
with the option --no-pager or by setting the PAGER environment variable
accordingly (see git's manual page) or by setting some pager.XXX config
variables.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs
@ 2023-02-14 16:20   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2023-02-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 09:33:18AM -0500, Galen Boyer wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been asked 100 times I'm just not sure how to pinpoint
>> the description so I'm not finding the answer.
>>
>> I just downloaded and set myself up for using Ubuntu on Windows.  I've
>> gotten my Emacs/Cygwin workspace on windows mimic'd on Ubuntu with
>> Cygwin.
>>
>> But, when I kick off some commands, such as "git diff XXX" the output
>> gives me a page and then the ":".  Is there a way to tell my environment
>> I never want pagination?  I want it all to come to the "console".  Of
>> course I want that because I can scroll the output with Emacs.
>
> By default, git sends its output trough a pager (when it thinks there is
> a terminal at the other end). You can change that by invoking commands
> with the option --no-pager

This worked for git but then I get the same behaviour from other
command-line scripts, for example, GCP's gcloud.  But found the
following
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62675616/how-to-get-non-interactive-text-output-with-gcloud-help-command

This idea,

    export PAGER=cat
    gcloud --help

So, tried that and it worked for gcloud.  Went back to git and it also
worked for that.

Thanks for the --no-pager.  In the end, that actually allowed me a better google
search term which was truly my initial reason for having to post a question.

--
Galen Boyer