all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-13 11:32 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-07-13 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
the kill ring.

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-13 11:40 ` Tassilo Horn
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-07-13 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
> I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
> 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
> this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
> the kill ring.

The following should do the trick.  Bind it to a key of your liking.

(defun my/delete-from-point-to-end ()
  (interactive)
  ;; Or kill-region if you want the text in the kill-ring.
  ;; Maybe (1+ (point)) if you don't want the char at point to be removed.
  (delete-region (point) (buffer-end 1)))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-13 11:44 ` Philip Kaludercic
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-07-13 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
> I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
> 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
> this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
> the kill ring.

With the default keys, you could probably do something like

     C-SPC             mark the current position
     M->               go to the end of the buffer
     C-w               kill the region

but if you want to declare your own function

    (defun local/delete-rest-of-buffer ()
      "Delete the buffer contents from the point onwards."
      (delete-region (point) (point-max)))

would probably do the job, without having to append the region to the
kill ring.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-13 11:49 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the
> current buffer from the point to the end of the buffer
> itself? I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header
> part, then I do 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to
> delete has disappeared, but this has the drawback of being
> slow and inserting a wall of text into the kill ring.

`delete-blank-lines'?

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/kill.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/kill.el

(setq kill-do-not-save-duplicates t)
(setq kill-whole-line             t)
(setq yank-excluded-properties    t)

(defun kill-line-remove-blanks ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((all-blanks "[[:space:]]*$"))
    (if (looking-at all-blanks)
        (progn
          (delete-blank-lines)
          (when (and (= (point-min) (point))
                     (looking-at all-blanks) )
            (kill-line) ))
      (kill-line) )))

(provide 'kill)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-13 11:49 ` Óscar Fuentes
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-07-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
> I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
> 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
> this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
> the kill ring.

Set the mark with C-SPC, move to the end of buffer with C-<end>, M-x
delete-region.

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-13 11:50 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-13 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
> I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
> 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
> this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
> the kill ring.

Or `delete-region':

@ 2021-07-13 11:51   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-07-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Luca Ferrari, help-gnu-emacs

    Philip>     (defun local/delete-rest-of-buffer ()
    Philip>       "Delete the buffer contents from the point onwards."
    Philip>       (delete-region (point) (point-max)))

    Philip> would probably do the job, without having to append the region to the
    Philip> kill ring.

Note that this will not delete to the end of the buffer if narrowing
is in effect; you'd need to throw in a (widen) for that.

Robert

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-13 12:08 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-07-13 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 13 2021, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
> I do often duplicate files and adjusts the header part, then I do
> 'C-k' until the part of the file I want to delete has disappeared, but
> this has the drawback of being slow and inserting a wall of text into
> the kill ring.

C-SPC to set the mark, M-> to go to the end of the buffer and then DEL or
BACKSPACE or C-d or C-w to delete the text.

But for the use-case that you describe, it may be more practical to use
`auto-insert-mode` or yasnippet.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* RE: [External] : delete buffer content from the point
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-13 13:40 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-07-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari, help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?

What everyone else has said - `delete-region'.

But don't forget also `flush-lines', which can
do this or delete only some of the lines.  It
acts from point forward.  (Also `keep-lines'.)

* Re: delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-14  8:45   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-07-14  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 2:11 PM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> But for the use-case that you describe, it may be more practical to use
> `auto-insert-mode` or yasnippet.

I do use yasnippet, but sometimes I don't have access to it (e.g., a
machine I log in only once and has vanilla emacs).
That's why I was looking for a more simple way that can help me in
those occasions.

Thanlk you all for pointing me to delete-region.

Luca

* Re: [External] : delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-30 10:49   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-07-30 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 3:40 PM Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > Is there a short and sweet way to kill the content of the current
> > buffer from the point to the end of the buffer itself?
>
> What everyone else has said - `delete-region'.
>
> But don't forget also `flush-lines', which can

Uhm..flush-lines is really interesting, I've bound as follows:

(bind-key (kbd "C-S-k") ( lambda()
                          (interactive)
                          (flush-lines ".*") ) )

Thanks!

Luca

* RE: [External] : delete buffer content from the point
@ 2021-07-30 15:59     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-07-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > But don't forget also `flush-lines'
>
> Uhm..flush-lines is really interesting, I've bound as follows:
>
> (bind-key (kbd "C-S-k") ( lambda()
>                           (interactive)
>                           (flush-lines ".*") ) )

Don't forget too that you can use `flush-lines'
and `keep-lines' in buffers, such as `M-x grep'
output, after using `C-x C-q' to enable editing.